Chapter five

Picture of Nitro
Chapter 5

We all stood a couple of yards behind the herd of cattle. I was on Nitro and started explaining everything to the boys who were in their wolf forms.

"We're going to herd them towards the large pen on the left of the barn." Everything I was saying was mostly for Carter's benefit.

I explained not to get to close, to bite at their heels and other simple things.

"Ready?"

"Set. Go!"

We all took off sprinting, well I was galloping. Carter was going to stay behind the herd with me and keep them moving forward while Sam and Justin kept them together on the sides.

I was keeping good pace, yelling and screaming at the cattle. They were moving at a nice pace. Not too slow, not too fast. Carter had caught on quickly and was doing great.

It took us twenty minutes to get the cattle into the correct pen. Although it wasn't dark yet I knew we didn't have much time.

"Now we have to get the mares and colts." Sam whined and a Justin made a huffing sound.

"Told bad, that's the deal. If you get to chase the cattle then you have to help with the mares and babies." I said while rolling my eyes.

Turning slightly in my saddle I spoke directly to Carter, "Don't get to close to their feet at all and stay away from the colts and fillies." Thinking for a minute, I added "If a mare charges you dodge and hold your ground."

"Get up! Get!" I screamed at the mares who were grazing. "Come on. Come on." I shouted at the herd.

The herd had started moving. I nodded at Justin's wolf. He charged forward and nipped at a horse's heel but jumped back quickly before he could get kicked.

This sent that horse running, along with it's colt and the rest of the herd." After thirty minutes we had gotten the entire herd into a different pasture and closed the gate.

Nitro had already been put away and the boys were laying in their wolf forms panting. My shoulder was still stiff from when I fell on it so I called it a day.

Nearly skipping to the house I grabbed three piles of clothes and threw them at the boys when they weren't looking. This earned me a yelp, growl and a huff in annoyance.

I laughed and but stopped to ask if Justin and Sam were spending the night.

"Nope, I'm out of here. I'm going to sleep until noon tomorrow." Sam said after he shifted.

"I doubt I'll be waking up past eight but I don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn like you." Justin spoke.

"Ok, see you soon." I gave each of them a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Drive safely!!" I waved as they pulled out.