Bonus: The Lunar Descent

bonus chapterthe crows and the lunar descent(months before the wandering isle slaughter)

bonus chapter
the crows and the lunar descent
(months before the wandering isle slaughter)

With every Lunar Descent marked a new year, a new beginning. There were many variations of it—in Kerch, they called it New Ages, symbolisation of a bountiful new chapter led by Ghezen. To Kerch's west, their Shu Han neighbour called it Yuandan, a circle of a year fulfilled. Ravkans called it Lunar Descent, and whatever the Fjerdans called it, Leia could care less.

The Lunar Descent was the one day all nations were unified. Wars were put on hold, replaced by smiles full of knives. Every nation would send gifts as a reminder to keep the peace. Or to sway bystanders to pick a side, much like what Ravka and Fjerda had been doing since the start of their war. Having Kerch in their arsenal meant possessing an endless war chest—winning half the war.

Slowly, this tradition of gifting spread beyond the state councils. Even in Ketterdam, the only day a Dreg could openly waltz into Dime Lion territory without the handshake from a gun.

"I want to go."

"No."

Leia marched down the stairs after Kaz, hot on his heels. "Why? It's the day of the New Ages, what job can there possibly be, at Wandering Isle no less? And a job that requires only you, not even the crew?" Kaz's shoulders slouched just a little, in distress, she hoped. "Halt your steps, Kaz Brekker!"

Kaz dramatically stopped at the bottom of the stairs, and if not for her quick thinking, she would have knocked right into him. He swept invisible dust off his shoulders and resumed his hurried paces across the room to pour himself a glass of water.

Even in total darkness, Leia knew he was stalling. Only a small glint of light reflected off his water glass, the only indication of his pressed eyebrows and a smirk– Oh, his trophy of a smirk. It never faltered. "In this economy, no wicked rests on the holidays."

She pinched her lips together, inching to smash the cup Kaz was holding. "Can't they start?" She quietly said.

"Concerned for my welfare? My dear, that's an insult. It's only Wandering Isle." So Kaz confessed. He was going to the Wandering Isle, it piped her interest. Leia simply must follow. Kaz limped off the stairs, not a soul in sight as the day barely broke light. It was too early in the morning for crickets to be even chirping.

Some tumbles sounded as Kaz blindly felt around a table for something. He commanded her to light a nearby candle. Just as their part of the room bathed in warm candlelight, Leia saw him pocket something.

She sighed, sitting on the harpsichord's wooden chair, devising her next words carefully while mindlessly brushing off the thin layer of dust that was settled on the harpsichord's lid. There were rumours about Wandering Isle that Leia must verify.