𝐈𝐈.

CHAPTER II

CHAPTER II.
jailbreak, part one

    Death, a morbid ideal that casually plagued Leia's mind more than it should. It should be disturbing, being entangled with death like that, but childhood was a silvered dream that expired the second she stepped into Ketterdam.

People here wagered their lives everyday. Preparing for your death was practically a rite of passage when you run with the Dregs.

Dying became the new normal, or that was what Leia told herself.

Tonight, fate rejected her calls again. Was it truly her luck that she survived another Hellshow? Leia struggled with the answer.

But awaking in an unfamiliar cell, she did know this familiar routine. Customary after every fight before transferring her back, for the medik's easy access. This cell was relatively clean, however the wafting smell of human waste made her questioned her need for oxygen.

"Hey!" A raucous voice broke her peace. Her neck painfully craned to the streaks of light sneaking from the hallway, thinking. But even that exhausted her. Paralysing pain that rolled across her body quaked away her desire to burn this chatterbox alive.

Thus, Leia busied herself with the four walls that caged her in. A new cell meant new paintings; meaningless carvings gouged by other prisoners.

This was the new normal, Leia had long succumbed to it. This too, will pass. It had to.

Things happen fast. One minute you could be downing whiskey to your heart's content, the next, bleeding out in an inconspicuous alley. Or in Leia's case, coming so close to revenge, and the next minute, falling victim to the person she swore to destroy. By someone she thought was a friend, no less.

"Oi!" There it was again, "You're that damned Fire Bender, right? I know you can hear me!"

Just another crazed excited to see the Fire Bender on exhibition, she reckoned, releasing a grunt and carefully flipped on her other side. Her tender ribs burned with every movement.

There was everything to hate about the Fire Bender. In Kerch, Grishas were sold like trade goods. So when an imprisoned one showed up for free, how could they pass it up?

There was money to be made.

Scarcity was a brilliant concept one council member clearly grasped. Only once a month she'd be tolled out in grand fashion, as opposed to the weekly triads of other prisoners. To ensure an endless income of kruge, her Hellshow was rigged. Losing was part of the game—beaten down or unconscious, whichever came first. The crowd wasn't picky.

People simply didn't like someone invincible.

It wasn't Leia's choice to be a circus animal, but confined with darkness was a potent way to grind her willpower—her misstep for revealing her tell like an idiot. Still, it didn't matter, Hellgate was as corrosive as it smelled. Within three weeks of her stay, the clutches of the Fire Bender clasped tighter while the Jester remained dormant inside.