𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.

CHAPTER VIII

CHAPTER VIII.
a heart colder
than the ice age

    "So you lived in the Ice Age, Helvar," Leia scoffed in disbelief at the pure-white blanket of hell they were about to trudge through. She never thought snow could be that blinding. "It all makes sense... Your attitude, that is. Not so much your intellect."

Matthias looked like he wanted to strangle her, again.

Jesper gave her an easing pat, his teeth already chattering. "I speak for all of us that we'd really appreciate if you try as hard as we have, to keep you alive."

When she turned around to assess her crew, how desperate they looked for warmth was hysterical. Nina's brown hair was the only thing that indicated an actual person was under that pillow of winter gear. Wylan's complexion was to enough to rival the snow while Jesper, standing beside him, mumbled about slapping some colour back into his skin.

Finally, they left the schooner behind for some shores. Jesper should have been elated, since this was all he talked about.

"I loathe this." He rubbed his red nose, sniffling dramatically, "Every part of this."

Inej, ever so adaptive, merely stuffed her hands in her pocket for sanctuary. Leia raised a brow at Kaz's painful limps, but he only increased his pace as a response.

Stupid, stubborn boy.

Matthias was the only other one unfazed by the cold. Everything about him seemed elevated—the glow on his face, straightened posture. Welcome home, warrior. A fleeting thought wondered how she'd feel if she somehow returned to Ravka.

"Am I wrong?" Another unforgiving breeze came by, making them shiver. "Helvar looks like the kind who'd brave a manly dip in the ice for a bath, and then die from hypothermia."

For some reason, when Nina and Matthias' eyes met, they quickly averted away. Wylan managed to nod, "When she's right, she's–"

Inej and Jesper nudged the Van Eck heir with a little too much force, "Dear Wylan," Jesper started, "Stop encouraging our Leia. Besides, I heard talking too much makes your temperature drop faster. You're pretty, but not even the white snow complements your skin when we bury you."

Leia exchanged a knowing grin with Inej as some colours appeared on Wylan's face. It seemed that their friend was interested in gambling with something else.

Matthias set at a ruthless pace that Leia never bothered to keep up with. She staggered back as the lone sheep in the group—resenting how easily their temperature situation would be fixed with a snap of her fingers. But Kaz said, "We are not risking it."

See, he was partially the reason for her foul mood. It must have been hours since they started trekking in silence, deciding to conserve their energies instead of bickering. Since thinking didn't consume much, Leia drifted in her thoughts. Specifically, thinking about murdering Kaz. He barely acknowledged her existence while on the ship—and it was only that big. Leia didn't know she had suddenly turned invisible.