𝐈𝐈𝐈.

CHAPTER III

CHAPTER III.
the truth will set you free,
but first, it will piss you off

     Kaz Brekker running out of witty replies was something straight out from a book of mythical folklore.

Until now.

In the short minute of Kaz's silence, it invited Nina and Inej to fuel Leia's anger.

Nina, Inej, a heavily injured Muzzen and even Matthias whipped their heads to Kaz, synchronised in shocked. Judging from their reactions, the minuscule of suspicious that darkened Leia's heart faded away. She thought that they, too, knew of her imprisonment.

"What the hell did Leia just say?" The edge in Nina's voice teetered dangerously, gone was all traces of the warm sunshine Leia always felt around her. 

Between Nina's grinding teeth and the sound of scraping metal on metal from Inej's knives, Kaz was severely outnumbered. 

Every second of silence fed her wrath. Leia wounded her fists tightly, suppressing her insatiable need to turn Kaz Brekker into ash. 

Later, she focused on her exhales. His time will come.

Still, Kaz's eyes remained trained on her. He leaned casually against the cold prison wall, tapping rhythmically on his crow cane. She hated how his head still held high in her presence, a glowing aura that the Bastard of the Barrel wore like a cloak. Exactly what breed of heartless monster did he come from? She'd have better luck churning a reaction from the rinca moten in the arena instead. 

When Kaz finally parted his lips, Leia thought he better make it a good one. Her patience was increasingly restless.

"We're late, Jesper's waiting. Let's go, now."

How cold.

Leia unclenched her fists, letting the berserk rage on her face melt back into the composure she dressed so well. She wouldn't let him break her again. 

"No," Leia casually slumped against the wall.

"No?" Her reply clearly shocked Kaz and the rest.

"You heard me." She nodded to the drüskelle they were breaking out, "And why are you breaking a drüskelle out?"

Leia expressed the same distaste when Matthias mouthed, "Witch."

"It's a long story," Kaz clearly didn't want to explain it.

"Then shorten it."

"Leia," She swallowed the hateful shudder every time Kaz uttered her name, "We'll have plenty of time to do this later," he leaned forward like he was soothing a child. From her peripheral vision, Nina gave the tiniest of nods. Inej simply sheathed her knifes.