Nariko and Mazuko

Akumas POV:

Amara and I were doing our morning walk to our high school, my eyes were focused on the sky, tracking the clouds.

"Ne, Zoku," I mumbled, getting the girls attention, "I feel like we're wasting our whole first year here," I finished my sentence, my gaze tracing the haze in the blue sky. Disappointment coated my voice, top to bottom, and heavy regret.

"I know, I feel the same way," the girl responded, in my peripheral vision, I could see her looking at her hands, playing with her fingers. She does that when she's overthinking something.

"I got a bad feeling about this year in my vibe-picker-upper," I spoke my mind.

"Well, that's obvious, Na-na."

"Not in that way," I corrected her, looking down at her face, "I mean like something bad is gonna happen," she looked back at me, trying to understand my words.

"Yeah, that's what I'm saying," the green eyed girl countered. I looked back up at the sky, sighing. I could never explain stuff like this.

"Never mind, I can't explain it well," I apologized.

"I might figure out what you mean, if you're right about this feeling of yours," she noted. Shifting her gaze forward, a sudden feeling devoured me. Unhappiness.

"Oi, don't look so down," Amara elbowed me, attempting to raise my spirits, "we already won nationals, I feel like we'd be asking for too much if we wanted to win again."

"Yeah, but I don't want to lose," I lamented.

"We had our moment, Riko," she began, "whether we win again, or if we lose, let's just have some fun," she finished her sentence, holding her hand upon my shoulder for comfort. I blew air from my nose, feeling a little better after hearing her thoughts.

"You always know what to say, Ma-ma," I complimented Amara, and her way with words. She just smiled a small smile, but it was genuine, in acceptance of the compliment. Soon, my view of the sky was covered by the school's ceiling. My eyes took a moment to adjust, I blinked, and battered my lashes. Rubbing my eyes with my hands. Once they adjusted, I looked forward to the hallways of the school. Sauntering towards our classroom, our peace and quiet was short lived. Just as we turned the corner to enter our class, a group of girls blocked the doorway, as if they were waiting for someone . My expression flashed, in recognition. I realized who they were, these girls were at the tryout yesterday. Amara and I stopped in our tracks, both analyzing the environment. There were 5 of them, all petite and thin. When they realized Amara and I were in the hallways, they approached us. I furrowed my eyebrows in annoyance, even the way they walked ticked me off. It was so: 'Look at me, I'm a pretty girl, I want all of your attention,' Amara scoffed, reading my mind.

"Nariko and Mazuko," one of them said, separating the synonyms and announciating more than usual. I grumbled, and Amara slightly clenched her fists as our first names slipped from her lips.

"Don't call me that," Amara asserted in a low voice.

"Aw, why not? We're on the team together, we should get to know each other better!" The same girl exclaimed, lifting her arms up in the air with content. She raked her gaze over us. Finally landing upon me. I stared right back, infusing my look with as much coldness as I could.

"What do you think, Nariko?" She pestered, leaning towards me ever so slightly, her voice in a veil of kindness and warmth. It was so cringe, how much she put into it.

"I think," I began, walking towards the girl, "you shouldn't call me by my first name, especially when you don't even know me," leaning forward, and down, to show the height difference between us. Amara tugged on my sleeve, indicating that we should leave. I followed her into the class, giving the group of girls the stinkiest stink eye I could.

"Annoying," Amara dragged, letting go of my uniform.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I pondered out loud, she nodded.

"Codenames," we agreed simultaneously. We chuckled at our synced up sentence, as we sat down in our designated seats. In the back of my mind, the same unhappy feeling nagged at my heart. I silently hoped that this year would be safe and prosperous, regardless of if we win or lose miserably at nationals. I just prayed that we would be fine in the end.