Chapter 35

Zeke

My parents decided to stay the rest of the day, mainly because my mom claimed to miss us too much for a short visit. After her initial discomfort and a change of clothes, Jasmine gradually engaged in conversations with my parents, mostly with my mom, and continued to win their hearts.

Halfway through the day my mom announced she would make us all a big dinner seeing how we hadn't all been together for almost a year. Since we were low on the ingredients my mom needed in order to make dinner, she told everyone she'd go to the grocery store. To my surprise and pleasure, Jasmine volunteered to go with her. Thinking she might feel awkward by herself, I offered to tag along. Immediately, I was chided by both her and my mother for intruding on their girl time.

"Ezekiel Bryant, we don't need a chaperone," my mother chided me.

"Yeah Ezekiel," Jasmine contributed with a teasing grin.

"We're both grown women and can take ourselves," my mom added with her hands propped on her hips.

I, along with my father and brothers laughed out loud at the "grown" part. They both were roughly half our sizes but I wouldn't argue the case with my mom. That would just get me in trouble and I'd be too embarrassed to let that happen with Jasmine around. Our laughter earned us a couple of "hmphs" and crossed arms before they went out the door.

My heart warmed at the thought of my two favorite women spending time together. This was a dream come true.

—————-

Jasmine

"Now that we're alone, I'll ask you the question I've been dying to ask since this morning. What do you think of my son?" Marie asked me as we were driving to the store.  Despite not living out here anymore, Marie drove us. She said that she still remembered how to get around town.

At her question, a huge smile spread across my face. It didn't go unnoticed by Zeke's mom.

"Oh my, just look at that beautiful smile! I see why Zeke's a goner."

A nervous giggle escaped me at her compliment.

"Aside from my late father, he's the most wonderful man I've ever met," I answered truthfully. If only she knew what Zeke meant to me.

I was a little uneasy when Marie and Dave caught Caleb and I in the kitchen wearing only our pajamas this morning. However, they were both such warm and inviting people that it was impossible for me to stay that way.

I continued, "Thank you for raising him to be such a loving, strong, and patient man. I don't know any other man who would stay with me in spite of all my flaws."

Marie smiled at me, then reached over and squeezed my hand as she steered with the other one.

"Oh sweetheart, we all have flaws. I don't know much about you, but from what I do know and see, you're being too hard on yourself and maybe even a little too easy on my son."

Somewhat caught off guard, I asked, "Excuse me?"

She chuckled, "Don't get me wrong. I think my son is great too, but he can be a hot head as I'm sure you know by now."

I laughed as I recalled every time he threatened Caleb for flirting with me in the past, and then grew solemn as I remembered the time he walked out on me when he thought I was interested in Sean. Yes, he had a bit of a temper, but I still loved him. I decided to voice my conclusion.

"That may be true, but just like he loves me with all my flaws, I love him with his. We're both working through some tough things, but I believe we make each other better."