Chapter 17

Zeke

This might not turn out well. I was planning on talking to Jasmine about her anonymous caller. She potentially knew his identity and she was hiding it from me for some reason. Maybe it was an ex-boyfriend she was trying to protect. My hands tightened around the steering wheel at the thought of her with another man. There was a chance he was the one who'd put the fear in her eyes.

I was on my way to Jasmine's house for a 'game night.' She ordered pizza and wings and she thought I was bringing Josh and Caleb. Angela was already there and in on my plan.

I hated deceiving Jasmine like this but I couldn't think of another way to approach her about the topic. It had been almost a week since our beach trip and I believed she'd had enough space. She couldn't continue to risk her safety. In a situation like this the more variables I knew, the better. Hopefully in a comfortable and familiar setting she would open up a little more.

My knuckles rapped on the door and a few moments later a smiling Jasmine was greeting me. She was so beautiful and innocently alluring all I wanted to do was kiss her senseless to taste those full lips of hers. Focusing on calming all parts of myself down I thought about the true purpose of my visit. Jasmine's gaze turned into one of confusion when she saw I was alone.

"My brothers couldn't make it. Caleb had a...uh...date and Josh was too scared to face Angela."

Although I was telling the truth Jasmine's eyes narrowed when I said 'Caleb' and 'date' in the same sentence. Caleb was on a date, or his version of one, which I didn't want to know exactly what that entailed.

"Um, ok. I don't really blame Josh. Angela is a lot to handle," she chuckled while side stepping so I could get in.

"What's up Big Z?" Angela yelled from the kitchen.

I chuckled at her nickname for me. "Hi Angela."

"Where are your brothers?" She came out of the kitchen eating a slice of pizza.

"Caleb had a date and Josh couldn't make it," I informed her.

Angela ceased chewing and her face flushed red. "I knew he was a player!"

"Uh...ok," confused I looked to Jasmine for help. She shook her head and rolled her eyes.

Angela spoke up again, "I-I...it's just that the wedding is tomorrow and he better not stand me up because of whatever he's doing with his date tonight."

She stormed away back into the kitchen muttering about stupid, cocky, dark-haired men.

"What's her problem?" I asked Jasmine.

"Do you really wanna know?" she raised her eyebrow.

I thought about it momentarily then answered, "No."

It would be safer for me if I stayed out of it. I had thought Angela was interested in Josh but she had gotten upset about Caleb being on a date. I really didn't understand women, maybe because I didn't grow up with any sisters.

"I didn't think so," Jasmine smirked at me. "Let's get some food. She'll calm down once she's eaten."

I followed her into the kitchen where she grabbed a plate and handed it to me.

"I ordered way more food this time because I thought your brothers would be with you, so feel free to eat as much as you want. And make sure you take some food home for Josh and Caleb."

Jasmine was always thoughtful and caring but she still caught me off guard sometimes. I saw it as her patient but now being a part of her life I got to witness it up close. It was second nature to her to accommodate for the people around her.