Chapter 36

Jasmine

My first therapy session was earlier today. I had stayed with Zeke all last week. It was too hard to separate from him. He dropped me off at work and picked me up when my shift was over. I knew it must be exhausting for him after his equally long days, but he never complained.

Initially, thoughts of my first day back at work made me dread returning. I was nearly too shamefaced to see my coworkers. They all knew what had happened to me to some degree. I anticipated pitying looks and whispers. However, my first day back, before Maria updated us on our schedule for the day, she and the team told me how much they cared for and supported me. I received no judgmental or pitying stares, but nods of approval and expressions of admiration. The show of love brought me to tears.

Since my first session was today, I had gone home last night so I could drive myself to the session on my day off. Zeke promised to come over after he got off work since he knew how clingy I'd become.

Now, I was cooking us dinner and waiting for him to arrive. I knew he'd be starving when he came. As I slid the dish of asparagus in the oven, I reflected on my session today.

Kylie, my therapist, had told me I could talk to her about whatever I wanted and that I didn't have to share anything I wasn't ready to. After experiencing the attack from Charles, this time around I decided not to bottle up what I felt inside. In the past, that only hurt me and kept me from building healthy relationships. Fear of what he did to me would not rule my life anymore.

I knew that I wouldn't have time to share everything that I experienced with Charles in today's session, so I started with what happened to me last week. Kylie had encouraged me to talk about what I was feeling as often as I needed to, continue to lean on my loved ones for their support, and find ways to relax. She also applauded me for already returning to my normal routine. Her last bit of advice was a tougher pill to swallow. She advised me to face the situations, places, or people that reminded me of the event and not to shy away from them. I'd already faced the place that reminded me of the event, work, but trying to face the people that reminded me...

I couldn't face Charles, at least not right now. I'd have to face him during the trial, but I honestly didn't know how I would. Kylie said that I needed to start thinking about it. If I went to see him before the trial it would benefit me. I wouldn't be shaken when I saw him in court.

My doorbell rang, interrupting my musing. I picked up my phone to see that it was Angela at the door and not Zeke. Blinking in surprise, I pushed my phone back in my pocket and headed to the door. She was still holding a grudge against Zeke and since I'd been spending all my free time with Zeke, I hadn't actually seen her since our disagreement. Although, we'd talked on the phone and texted briefly. I'd told her I'd be back home today, but she didn't say anything about coming over when I talked to her.

When I slowly opened the door I didn't expect her to nearly knock me to the floor with her fierce hug. After steadying us, I squeezed her back just as tightly. I'd missed her like crazy. Tears were on her cheeks when she finally pulled away. My heart throbbed. Angela wasn't a crier so I knew she was hurt behind our strained relationship.

Before I could speak she gushed out, "Jas, I'm, I'm sorry!" She sobbed, "I knew it hurt you when I held onto my anger, but I didn't care at the time. I saw it in your eyes how much I hurt you and I was the one who caused it."

"Thank you Angela. It means so much to me that you came back! You're like my sister and I feel like my other half is missing without you. What can we do so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again? I love you, but I also love Zeke. He's always going to be a part of my life."

She grew quiet at my question. Resolve filled her eyes as she looked at me.

"I'm not going to hurt you anymore by hurting him...I'm not saying that everything's all good now, but my anger is a personal issue I've got to work through. I promise I won't take it out on Zeke again."

My response was cut short when the doorbell rang. I knew it was the very man we'd been discussing so now was the time Angela's promise would be put to the test. I smiled at her and told her I'd be right back. I wasn't giving her a warning. I'd see if my best friend was being real with me.

"Come in, Ezekiel," I welcomed after I'd opened the door.

He took one step in and noticeably stiffened when he saw Angela standing in my living room. He regarded her warily as she stared at him surprised.

"I owe you an apology big Z," she began.

...hello there. It's Roccs and I know it's been a while. You might not even remember this book or what it's about lol. This is an extremely short chapter after a long hiatus, but I've actually had it saved as a draft for some time. I would love to finish this book. I don't know when that will be, but I will eventually. Hope you're all doing well! We made it through a pandemic 😮‍💨🙌 I'm grateful for each one of you who's still here.

Much love,

Roccs 💜💜💜