Chapter 6

At 8 o'clock I made it home after another long day of work. I was exhausted every evening when I came home and I never felt rested enough but I wouldn't trade my job for anything. I worked so hard to get to this place.

Charles stripped everything he could from me to make me dependent on him and now I had everything I needed, including a car and house that I recently moved in to. I felt independent and loved every bit of it. There was nothing else I needed. The solitude and peace of living on my own was something I relished in.

I never felt lonely. I was surrounded by patients and hospital staff all day so when I came home I was able to recharge and have some quiet time. However with my best friend Angela coming over on our days off my quiet time was cut down dramatically, not that I minded at all. I loved her and her lively personality.

As I replayed today day in my head my encounters with Dr. Myles and Mr. Bryant stood out. I felt as if my peaceful and quiet life might soon be disrupted. Dr. Myles seemed like the controlling type, just like Charles. There was no way I'd ever want to be with him. I wouldn't give in to him.

And Mr. Bryant, well he stole my breath today.  I hated to admit it even to myself. Several times today at work I found myself thinking about him. He had such a noticeable intensity that was impossible to ignore. Not to mention his formidable figure that made me gasp in surprise earlier.

At work when I had gone back to his room his physical therapist was there to take him to their session.  Mr. Bryant was already standing when I walked in. He towered over the therapist who was not a small man, and completely dwarfed me. No wonder the man insisted he didn't need any help from me.

Opening my fridge I searched for the leftovers I planned on reheating for dinner. It took me a full minute before I realized they were right in front of my face. My mind had again drifted to Mr. Bryant.

Pull yourself together girl!

I'd definitely seen handsome men before, Dr. Myles was one of them, but I never gave them a second thought. Mr. Bryant was no more important than the rest, at least that's what I spent the remainder of the evening trying to convince myself of.

------------------------

I awoke with a jolt, as usual, however my alarm going off was not the cause this morning.

I'm going to take such good care of you baby girl.

Charles' voice echoed in my head as my heart raced and I tried to slow my breathing. I hated him for what he did to me. Just the memory of him brought anxiety. That was the reminder I needed to tame my attraction to Mr. Bryant. He could be just like Charles or worse and I had no intention of finding out.

My morning at the hospital was quieter than yesterday. Thankfully I didn't see Dr. Myles. I had put off checking on Mr. Bryant for as long as I could. I was afraid that even after the talk I gave myself I would still feel something when I saw him. My brisk walk slowed the closer I came to room 324.

Come on, you can do this! You're not a little girl anymore. You are a confident and competent nurse and you better act like it!

Inhaling then exhaling I squared my shoulders and lifted my head before entering his room. I plastered my work smile across my face. It was the same smile I gave all my patients. It was the one that hid all of my fears that still haunted me.

"Good morning Mr. Bryant!" I chirped. I received no response. "Mr. Bryant?" I called.

Again there was no answer. Slowly I peeled back the curtain surrounding his bed. My puzzled expression broke into a real smile when I saw that he was asleep.