Chapter 32

Start writing your story

Jasmine

I called Zeke several times last night and it went to voice mail every time. Despite my efforts to actually get some sleep, I tossed and turned all night thinking of what happened to me and why he hadn't come back. Besides not hearing from Zeke, I also knew I was having an examination in the morning which added to my anxious thoughts.

Angela came with me for moral support, but it didn't change the fact that the exam was thorough, long, and invasive. I agreed to whatever Captain Miller asked me to do if it helped ensure Charles would get the maximum sentence for what he did and tried to do to me.

Thankful the exam was over, I tried to relax when I got back to my room. Angela wanted to stay with me but I insisted she go back to work. Maria was lenient with her because she knew of my situation, but Angela was technically supposed to work today. It was her last day before she took a few vacation days to stay with me at home.

Once I was finally alone I attempted to put the attack and the exam out of my mind for the time being. They were both graphic experiences that I didn't want to deal with right now. I knew eventually I would have to come to terms with everything that happened, but that didn't have to be now.

Suppressing my emotions wasn't healthy. I understood that now. Even before the attack, I had planned on starting my therapy sessions next week. It was good timing because I didn't know if I felt worse off now or before this whole ordeal.

I tried calling Zeke one more time and it went to his voicemail, again. Since it was a reasonable hour now I decided to call Caleb. Maybe he could tell me where his brother was. At this point I wasn't even mad at Zeke. I just needed to see him. He said he wouldn't leave me again so I had to believe that he wouldn't.

Caleb picked up on the first ring, "Hey sis."

I smiled at his warm greeting. "Hey bro," I answered back.

Caleb could always easily cheer me up. "How are you?" I asked him.

He gave what sounded like a humorless chuckle. "Are you really asking me that question?"

"What?" I shifted on the bed and groaned. My head was pounding.

I heard him sigh through the phone. "Zeke told me that bastard hurt you," he practically growled.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say. "Um...Did he...did he tell you everything?"

"No, he didn't. That's your story and you decide who you share or don't share it with."

"Good. Yes, you're right."

"Actually, those are Zeke's words, but I completely agree," he confessed.

I smiled. "Oh ok. Well thank you, but I'm sure you already have an idea of what...happened..." I finished awkwardly.

"True. That's why I haven't said anything about how your voice sounds like it belongs to a chain smoker."

I laughed, or at least tried to laugh at his joke. I ended up doing something closer to hacking. I drank some water to soothe my throat.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" He apologized. "Zeke will kill me if he finds out I'm making things worse for you!"

"Not if I kill him first."

"Uh oh. Trouble in paradise?" Caleb asked.

"I don't know Caleb," I confessed with a sigh. "I haven't seen or heard from him since yesterday when he left so abruptly. Where is he?"