Chapter 14

"Did you get it all?" I ask Connor.

"Yes I did! The guys were more than willing to help and they all feel bad so it's no wonder it took no time at all!" He replies as he smiles handing me an envelope. We stand back admiring our work as we take in the office that's been transformed into a winter wonderland. Christmas is one of Camila's favorite times of the year and it was her job to come early to decorate for the party, but as part of my plan to get to her to at least talk to me, we decided to take a few things off her plate.

The caterers from her favorite restaurant start to bring in food and set things up in the conference room. Brian and Connor show them where to go while I have Cole and Noah bringing in the gifts for everyone and making sure that no one but the office staff comes in today. Old man Frank was tasked with using his same slower shop to get white and red poinsettias as well as hook me up with an office full of sunflowers; Camila's favorite.

As everything comes together, I take the envelope in my hand and add it to the other envelope full of money. From the bet. I also slide in a certificate to one of Camila's favorite spas and something else that I know will mean the world to her. Setting it aside, I hear my computer ding with an email.

That's strange. It's from Camila. She's not even here yet.

Quickly opening the email, I read through its contents and gasp in shock.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!" I say out loud, which prompts everyone to come and hover over me.

My cubicle now filled to the brink as they all try to worm their way in to see the screen.

I can't stop reading the words. Over and over again.

"Shawn,

I'm sure this comes as a surprise to you, but I'm taking a job with the office in New York. Too much has happened here for me to stay, and as they say; no reason to stay is a good reason to go.

As you know, your little bet has caused quite the commotion in the office and you turned out to be someone I didn't think you were capable of being. You aren't the same guy I fell for in college. I thought time would heal the wounds you've scarred me with, but I guess things don't work that way.

My intention was never to hurt you how you've hurt me. With that said, I'm already on a plane to Manhattan. Inside this email is the contents of the gifts I have for everyone else that participated in your little game. You may do with this as you please. I'm done. I'm tired of fighting and I'm tired of losing everything I cared about.

Including you.

Have a nice life Shawn Mendes,

Camila"

************************************

Surprise?! Please don't hate me!!