Alec- Time (h)

Not being able to get to sleep was one of the most frustrating things you ever experienced, nothing could really compare to the pure frustration and upset when you weren't able to sleep – especially when you knew you needed to be.

Logically you knew that you shouldn't get annoyed at yourself for it as it genuinely wasn't your fault the majority of the time, you had been prescribed with medicine that was supposed to help but you never liked taking it.

You knew you were lucky to have Alec in your life, for more reasons than one but the fact that he couldn't sleep meant he was always there when you couldn't either.

"Hello there," Alec greeted, looking up from his book, as you walked into your living quarters, sleepy eyed and in his clothes.

He welcomed you as you sat on his lap, allowing you to settle before resting your head on his shoulder and his free hand came up to stroke your hair.

"I thought you were asleep my love," he spoke softly as he continued to stroke your hair, his other hand holding his book to keep his place marked.

Sighing, you burrowed further into his chest and wrapped an arm around his middle. "I was for a bit," you confirmed. "But I woke up over an hour ago and couldn't settle again, but I'm just so tired."

Alec sighed as well, knowing how much your insomnia bothered you. "I'm sorry my love," he whispered into your hair. "But you know my chest is always welcome to you should you decide to rest your head."

You giggled at him. "You can be quite sweet sometimes, you know that?"

"Only for you my love," he pressed a kiss to the top of your head.

"Would you read to me?" you questioned, getting yourself comfortable.

Alec lifted the hand that held his book and started to read aloud, his voice soft and comforting and you let your eyes fall closed.

The sound of Alec's voice combined with his comforting smell and the way he was stroking your hair; it didn't take you long to fall into dreamland – well it didn't feel long to you, but Alec noticed the change in your breathing in the early hours.

He kept stroking your hair even after you had fallen asleep, he knew it brought you comfort but it also brought him comfort – to reassure himself that you were still there, and your heart was still beating.

It had taken a lot for the council to accept you, it was his and Jane's only condition when they agreed to join that you be allowed to live with Alec and stay as you were until you decided it was time.

He was not going to take the choice away from you, when you said it was time then it was time but until then he was going to hold you whilst you slept and make sure you were safe.

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.,