Special: Seven Years of Favors

(A/n: Yo. Is it too late for that special? 🫣 I'm nervous to post it. Here it is anyway lol. I suppose enjoy.)

~7 years later~

Water pours from the sink faucet, being splashed upon a face. One that with time has become sort of unrecognizable. Not in an unattractive manner but a peculiar one.

The eyes that once shone brightly dimmed a little but were still filled with warmth and hope. Dark bags formed beneath them, presenting obvious exhaustion to anyone who sees it.

A hand reaches for the washcloth on the counter, patting your face dry with it. Wet strands of dull (h/c) clung to your cheeks and forehead as you bring the towel down your face, peeking at your reflection in the mirror.

The bags are getting darker.

You ring the excess water from the towel and hang it to dry. Exiting the bathroom you make your way from the hall to the kitchen, passing by the bedroom with light snoring coming from it.

Grabbing an apron off a hook you tie it around your waist. The cabinets squeaked when you opened them to get the skillets inside, placing them over the stovetop.

From the fridge you collected multiple ingredients, lying them on the counter. Today feels like a day you should make a breakfast feast. You're certain none of the food will go to waste.

Yawning you reach for a near bowl and start preparing a batch of maple sausage. Everyone loves it when you make them fresh. You didn't mind either.

Humming softly you prepare the food, glancing out the window at the clouded sky. These days were more boisterous than the silence you used to prefer.

When it is quiet though It's these moments when you find yourself thinking of the past. Like how the song you sing is Alex's. You miss her silly voice filling up the bar and the laughter of everyone intoxicated by drinks and smoke.

Marco and Galahad would always be the ones cracking jokes while Loretta and Doug were the rowdy ones, often bickering with Worick. Nic was pretty much just there flirting with Alex.

The nostalgia almost doesn't seem real. None of that seems like it was years ago. It was all still fresh in your mind and heart. That's why letting go was more difficult than you imagined.

Having become too distracted by your thoughts you nip your finger with the knife. It wasn't bleeding a lot. Hardly at all but still you don't want to contaminate any food with blood or get an infection.

As you were reaching into a near cabinet for a bandage you heard feet pattering on the floor. Glancing back you spot one of two of your favorite people.

"Good morning, sweetie." You sunnily smile, watching as the small child takes a seat at the table rubbing his eyes.

Yawning, "Morning Mom..."

"Did I wake you?" You wrap the dinosaur bandage around your finger, putting the box back on the shelf.

"Mhm." He lies his head on the table, arms pulled inside his shirt. "I could hear you humming."

"Oh, Dawson. I'm sorry." You slightly frown at your loudness. "Did I wake Winry as well?"

Shaking his head, "It's just me. She stayed up late coloring last night."

Sighing, "That girl..." you shake your head. "What am I going to do with her." You wash the cutting board and knife from earlier.