Fifteen

(A/n: Heyy y'all! Im back again with a long ass chap. As always. So long that I had to make another chap... Ikr. When's it gonna end? Lol. Forgive me if this is all over the place. Cause it is...But enjoy!! 🤗)

Reader's POV:

"(F/n), would you mind running this to the post office for me? My hands are kind of full right now." Loretta asks with a child attached to her hip and a white envelope on-hand.

"Sure thing boss." You stop sweeping the floor, wiping your hands on your pants to rid any dirt.

She laughs, handing it over. "I'm not your boss. We're practically the same age."

"Well, you got me this job back and you run the city. So you kind of are." You say.

Waving hand, "Actually, it's all thanks to Doug. He told me that you were unwell during that time of absence. I'm glad you're okay though. Everyone missed you."

Smiling, you look toward the ground. "Yeah, I missed everyone, too. I'm grateful to you and Doug both."

"We wouldn't have it any other way. You're family afterall."

"Me?" Your voice hints surprise.

"Well, Duh!" Loretta exclaims, frightening the child in her arms. "But honestly, I think Doug thinks more of you." She soothes the toddler.

"Wha....what ever do you mean, Ms. Loretta?" The way her lips twist tells you not to play dumb and it doesn't take long for her to voice it either.

"Come on now." She suspiciously narrows her eyes. "I've seen you two together a lot. More than before your absence, and, somehow, Doug seems different."

"Different how?"

"Different like he has manners and a crush on a specific someone." Her eyes practically point daggers.

"I...don't know what you mean." You feign ignorance.

Unexpectedly, your phone rings. When you pull it out, his name pops up on the screen. Loretta leans over to see who it is and you both make eye contact.

Grinning, "Well speak of the devil... You two are a thing!"

Shaking head, "N-no! Really it's not like tha---"

Pivoting on left heel, "Oh give it a rest!! I'm not stupid! Or do you want me to fire you?" She threatens.

All you could do was pout with your head hanging. "Alright, alright. I admit something has been flourishing between us. But it's nothing official or anything like that." You timidly concede.

An excited squeal comes from her mouth as she takes your hand in hers. "I knew it!! Love is blossoming! And for him of all people before me..." She frustratedly sighs.

"Please don't tell anyone."

Patting shoulder, "No worries, girl. I'm good at keeping secrets. Better answer that call before lover boy gets mad."

"R-right." You accept the call, bringing the phone to your ear. "Hello."

Loretta comes close to you, speaking into the phone. "I know you love (F/n), Doug! But I love her too! She's amazing so take care of her!" Before you could protest she runs away.

"What...?"

"L-loretta!" You whine out.

"Don't forget to drop off the letter! it's important! Thanks!" She adds before vanishing.

You shake your head and let out a sigh before placing the phone back to your ear.

"Hello."

"What was that all about?"