Back From The Dead

There, reaching the top of the steps entering the squad, was someone we thought was dead. Someone NONE of us ever expected to see again, Detective Alvin Olinsky.

"Al?! What the hell?!" Kevin asked, stunned. I turned to look at Hank, who looked just as confused as the rest of us. I walked out, followed by Adam.

"Hey guys," Al said in his normal tone of voice.

"Al.. I was at you funeral, I watched your wife bury you.." I said with a tear rolling down my cheek.

"No you didn't.." Director Rick Thomas said.

"Why are you here anyway?!" I asked him.

"Why would I be?"

"I don't know.. how do you even... shit! Of course!" I exclaimed.

"What's going on?!" Adam asked as he looked at Al.

"Witness protection!" Everyone gasped and turned toward the men. "You got the cartel?!" I asked.

"We got the cartel members connected, yes."

"Why wasn't I informed?!" I asked sternly. Adam went over to hug Al, as Hank came from his office.

"Then you'd know his whereabouts. If his own wife thought he was dead, we certainly weren't going to tell you or anyone else in the CPD until we apprehended or disposed of the members threatening his life."

"Well fuck!" I exclaimed. Hank walked over to Al and hugged him the tightest I'd ever seen him hug anyone before. Al actually shed a tear too, I think.

"He's all yours now, well again, Intelligence." Director Thomas said as his parting words. "Dr. Ruzek, can I have a word?" He added as he turned to me and lead me into the hallway.

"Yes sir," I exclaimed. "What's going on?"

"Well you've been in Chicago for a while now. Daughter, husband, house.."

"Yes...?"

"I wanted to inform you that you are now officially employed by the Chicago Field Office."

"Sir?" I was still slightly confused.

"Congratulations, Dr. Ruzek. You are now the FBI Field Agent Liaison for CPD. You will be coordinating all efforts that involve FBI jurisdiction in Chicago, to keep us looped in if there is ever an issue of national security, or anything else.. that requires FBI assistance. Promotion.. yes more money."

"Oh.. that's.. wow! Thank you sir!"

"You've earned it doctor! You've done an amazing job, and we are exited to have you as a staple of the Chicago police department and FBI," he smiled bluntly. "The commissioner is aware, Hank will be informed by me shortly."

"Sir, one thing!" I said before he headed for Hank's office.

"Yes?"

"I'll still be stationed here right? Not at the field office..?" I choked out.

"But of course," he smiled.

"Great! I believe I'm of most help in this unit.."

"I agree. Is Hank back in his office?"

"Uh.. looks like it sir. Yes. Thank you." He smiled and left me in the hallway as he knocked on Hank's door.

"What was that about babe?" Adam asked as he walked over to me.

"Uh.. I just got a promotion."

"That's great! To what?!"

"FBI Field Agent Liaison for CPD," I said. "Basically, I'll coordinate with CPD and FBI if the bureau is needed for a case.. all that shit."

"That's great sweetheart!" He was happy, but his eyes were sad.

"And.. I'm stationed at Intelligence.." I smiled.

"Oh KAY! Now we're talking!" He picked me up to hug me.