Chapter Six

"Okay, it's officially time for operation drunk talk with Josh," Ronnie says, clapping her hands together. We're in an Uber on our way back to our apartment.

"It's two AM, I feel like it's a little late to do this." I give Ronnie a sad shrug, gazing at her over Kelly who sits in between us.

"What do you mean it's too late?" she asks, arching her perfectly shaped eyebrow at me. "You must've known when thinking of this plan you were going to have to call him to wake him up, right?"

I cringe. No, I hadn't thought about that in fact.

Josh hasn't spoken to me since that night at the Chinese restaurant and normally I would've seen him in class, but he didn't show up. I was so tempted to text him and ask where he was, but for some reason, I held back. I want to give him time, but in all honesty, I don't even understand why I feel like I should be giving him space. Nothing major happened, but I still can't seem to feel normal about it.

Ronnie lets out a groan. "You can't back out now. You've been stressing out about him for two days and I need it to end."

"You need it to end?" I question. I run a hand over my face to try and hide my amusement.

"Yes, you've been moody and I need my Re back," she states, looking at me like I should've already known the answer.

"Ronnie you are ridiculous." Kelly sighs and discreetly gives me a look. Ronnie is too funny.

"So, did Caleb ask you out?" I give her a grin. Conveniently changing the subject.

"Yes, actually, he did."

"Ronnie!" Kelly and I thrill at the same time.

Ronnie dramatically flips her hair over her shoulder. "And before you ask, no, we didn't do it in Mason's roommates' room."

Our Uber driver coughs and I can't help but feel bad for the poor guy, but I'm sure he's used to some extremely odd conversations.

The three of us share a look and try desperately to keep our shit together.

Don't laugh. Don't laugh. Don't laugh.

I crack a grin anyway.

"What were you guys doing then?" Kelly inquires.

"Honestly, we talked a lot and just hung out." Ronnie's eyes travel to the rubber mat down at her feet and she bites her lip.

"Ronnie, you like him like him!" My mouth drops open, I've never seen her so bashful before.

"Can we go back to talking about you drunk calling Josh, please?" She gives me a hopeful look, but I can see the fire beneath. She does want me to try and figure things out with Josh. At this point, for everyone's sanity.

"I don't even feel that drunk at the moment so, this plan might not be the best right now." I glance out the window thinking about what I would even say to Josh if I called him and woke him up. "What if he answers, but doesn't want me to come over?"

"It might be a risk you have to take," Kelly says, ever the voice of reason.

I sigh and lean my head against the window.

"How about this? We go back to our place first, take two rapid-fire shots and then you can decide if you want to call him or just make mac and cheese and watch a movie." Ronnie's eyes are expectant, but also encouraging.