Chapter 49

After hanging up with Paul, John went to the front door and opened it. Then, he looked outside. Then, he grabbed his coat and went over to sit on the steps. He took out a cigarette and lit it.

He wasn't sure why he went back outside after what happened the day before. But, he also didn't want Julian to stay inside throughout his whole visit. Paul already knew what was going down but John didn't really want to involve him in any way. 

He sat outside, thinking about what he was going to do. He started considering moving in with Paul for a few days, or however long it would take. But, he also didn't want to do that. Paul had a family with young kids...........

John was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard Julian walking outside. Then, he sat down next to John.

"Ey dad. Everything okay?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"You look like yer thinking too deep. What's going on in that head of yers?"

"Nothing you should be concerned about."

"Are you sure?"

"Course I am."

"Ye know, I overheard you and uncle Paul talking on the phone earlier."

 Great........................John thought.

"What all did you hear?" John asked.

"Are you leaving again?"

"No. I don't want to. I don't want to move away from you again."

"But, do what you have to do to keep safe."

"I suppose you heard the reason too?"

"Yeh."

"Please tell me Sean didn't hear any of it."

"Oh, no. He didn't. But don't feel that you have to stay here because of me."

"I don't want to leave you again. The reason why I moved here was to be close to you. I can't do that if I live 6 hours away."

"Its okay dad."

"No. Its not. I won't leave again."

Julian took a cigarette and lighter that John had next to him.

"Kid................forget it. I can't talk you out of it."

"Dad, its okay if I don't see you all the time. I don't have to see you every day. You know that right?"

"Yeh. I do. But................."

"Just think about it."

"No. Kid..............please respect my decision."

"Okay. But don't feel that you have to stay here if its not safe."

"I know yer concerns for me."

"No you don't. I don't want to lose you permanently. I would rather lose you temporarily than forever." 

"Okay. I'll think about it. But for now, we drop the subject. I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay. So, want to go inside?"

"Not yet."

"Are you sure? Its quite cold out here."

"I'm sure. So, this afternoon or evening, you could take Sean to a movie or whatever."

"Yer letting us leave the house? Awesome!"

"Pipe down. I can't have you stuck here for the rest of yer stay here. So, this afternoon, have fun. Leave the house. But don't stay out past dark."

"Okay. Wouldn't you want to come with?"

"No. Not this time. Spend this time with yer brother."

"Okay. Whatever you want."

"Yer a good kid. Ye know that?"

"Mum tells me all the time."

 "Good. Now I'm ready to go inside. I'm freezing my feet off out here."