twenty-two.

⁺◟ chapter twenty-two

chapter twenty-two. . .
um, well movie
night went well. . .

12 september 2020

12 september 2020

there's an awkward feeling, or tension, hanging in the air in the dimly lit living room. hyori opts out for staring at her hands, watching as she fiddles with her fingers. sunwoo stands awkwardly by the door of her house, looking around, not knowing what to do. he finally decides upon taking off his shoes and sitting on the couch while changmin sets up the movie, making sure he is as far away from hyori as possible.

"you two," calls out haknyeon, pointing at hyori and kevin. "go get the snacks from the kitchen."

"you go do it," replies hyori, looking up to stare at her brother. "you have two legs and two hands."

"two hands that are occupied with carrying gyul," says haknyeon, sticking his tongue out at hyori as he holds up gyul high enough for her, and everyone, to see.

sighing, hyori gets up, looking back at kevin. "lets go, mr moon."

"not you calling me that," kevin laughs, eyes scrunching up in happiness. hyori hums and turns around.

it's a shame that she no longer feels anything when she sees him smile.

hyori heads straight towards a cabinet and flings it open, throwing out bags of chips while kevin goes to the fridge, taking out bottles of water. he then walks over to the back of the kitchen and comes back with bags of other snacks that haknyeon and hyori had bought for the occasion. while hyori looks at the bag of chips, contemplating whether the amount she brought would be enough for all of them, kevin hops up onto the kitchen top. she glances back at him when he speaks.

"remember that day we went to karaoke?" kevin asks, swinging his legs. he waits with bated breath for the girl's response.

hyori hums. "i do. what about it?"

"...did you like me then?"

she puts down the bag of chips she holds in her hand, turning around. hyori looks at him, a sad smile on her lips. "i did, but now—"

"you don't," kevin says, smiling.

hyori looks at him, a guilty look plastered on her face. she tries smiling at him, but all she can muster is a weak and pathetic smile. "yeah..."

kevin chuckles softly, hopping off the kitchen top and waving a hand in front of him to reassure the girl. "it's okay," he says, "i'm not hurt by it."

"really?"

"yes yes," kevin says, ruffling her hair. "i can tell because you really like sunwoo."

hyori laughs softly, her gaze falling to the ground. because i really like sunwoo, huh...

"you know," kevin says, "you should really go after sunwoo. i can tell he likes you, too. but taehee... i think he's just scared to let go of what he thinks was his first love. she was there for him when things weren't looking good back then..."

hyori sighs. "you think so?"

"i know so," kevin grins, patting her back. he lets out an exaggerated sigh, "ah, i really should have asked you out the day before your birthday. i could have avoided this whole mess between you and sunwoo."

the girl snorts. "let's head back," she says, chuckling. "they're probably wondering where the damn food is at."

hyori thinks about what kevin said as they leave the kitchen. go after sunwoo... maybe i should? no... i shall.

with the edges of her lips curving upwards, hyori looks around the living room. her smile drops as she and kevin place the snacks in the middle of the room. she turns towards haknyeon, "where's sunwoo?" she asks.

haknyeon takes the bag hyori left in her hands, opening it. "he left just now," he replies. haknyeon narrows down his eyes at his sister, an eyebrow raised. "...why?"

frowning, hyori sits down between eric and hyunjoon. "it's nothing," she says. "let's get this move started..."

"