five.

⁺◟ chapter five

chapter five . . .
even you deserve
to be happy!

 ꜜ❝ even you deserveto be happy! ❞

12 april 2020

the room is dark until the door creaks open, a candle illuminates the air around it an orange color as people shuffle inside.

"go wake her up!" someone softly says as they gesture at the sleeping girl in front of them.

a boy takes a step forwards, bringing his hand down to shake hyori. the girl groans quietly, turning so that her back is facing them.

"xixi," says haknyeon, shaking her a bit harder this time. "wake up."

hyori whines, turning around to face them. she opens her eyes, narrowing them from being slightly blinded by the light coming from the candle. her parents and brother stand in front of her: her dad is carrying a cake, her mom is holding her phone that's recording everything as it unfolds, and haknyeon holds gyul in his arms. they all wear matching smiles on their lips.

they begin to sing the happy birthday song to her softly, and with each passing second, hyori begins to wake up.

"go on," her dad says, nodding towards the candle. "blow it out."

by now, hyori has a smile plastered on her lips. she sucks in a deep breath, blowing out the candle afterwards. smoke flies up into the air before disappearing.

hyori stretches in her bed as haknyeon walks over to her window, opening the curtains. the light pours into the room as their parents leave. the boy walks back to his sister's bed, grabbing her hands. "all righty then," says haknyeon, dragging the girl up to her feet. "you need to get ready."

"ready?" asks hyori. "i thought we weren't doing anything today?"

haknyeon chuckles as he heads towards the door. he stops  right before he leaves, his hand on the doorframe as he looks back at the girl. "we aren't," he says, "but hyunjoon and eric have this whole thing planned out for you today. they're waiting for you outside on the porch."