twenty-three.

⁺◟ chapter twenty-three

chapter twenty-three. . .
am i a dumbass
or am i a dumbass?

 ꜜ❝ am i a dumbassor am i a dumbass? ❞

12 september 2020

sunwoo stares up at the ceiling of his room, watching the fan spin. he suddenly lets out a groan of frustration, bringing his hands up to ruffle his hair. sighing, he blinks a couple of times, still staring at the ceiling.

"no," he said, frowns. "i did the right thing. i broke up with her because it was for the best."

you broke up with her because you were scared that she would get embarrassed that you were the guy she was making out with at the party, and that she'd leave. kim sunwoo you're such a wussy.

sunwoo clicks his tongue, sitting up. "it was for the best! and... and telling her that taehee kissed me was for the best too! she has to hate me so that she can move on..." his phone rings from beside his bed, interrupting his train of thought. sunwoo leans over and rolls his eyes before picking up his phone. "what do you want taehee?"

taehee's voice rings clearly on the other side of the line, annoying sunwoo.

"i just... come on, sunwoo. we can talk things out..."

he scoffs. "talk things out? there's nothing left to talk about. i just realized that you're such a shitty person overall and decided to break up with you. there's literally nothing to discuss about that."

"kim sunwoo! don't forget that—"

"don't forget what?" he snaps. "that you were cheating on me for months while i was still with you? forget that you only wanted me back because you saw me with hyori?" sunwoo scowls, standing up and heading towards his window. he looks out from it, spotting hyori walking into her house, eric and hyunjoon behind her.

that's right, he thinks, there's a movie night today.

"hey, kim sunwoo! are you even listening to me?"

sunwoo walks out of his room, heading straight towards the front door. "no," he replies, slipping his shoes on. "why should i? please stop contacting me after this taehee, we're never going to be a thing again."

the beeping coming from his phone lifts a great deal off sunwoo's shoulders. he lets out a sigh of relief as he grabs his jacket, closing the door behind him as he walks across the street towards hyori's house. his palms feels sweaty when sunwoo stops in front of the door. sure, haknyeon invited him but wouldn't it be awkward? especially for hyori?

before he can even think about what he's doing, sunwoo's fist comes into contact with the door, knocking three times. sunwoo's eyes widen and he steps backwards. "aw fuck!" he whines, pacing around on the front porch. "shit! why did i—wait, i should just run back to my house and pretend like this never happened!"

"pretend like what never happened?"

sunwoo yells out, jumping. he turns back to look at haknyeon, who's leaning against the doorframe with an eyebrow raised, telling the boy to tell him.

"hyung!" says sunwoo, eyes wide. "you scared me! why didn't you just, oh i don't know, warn me before doing that?"

haknyeon scoffs. "even if i did warn you, you would have still screamed."

sunwoo frowns, punching his shoulder. "shut the hell up, you did not need to expose me like that."

laughing, haknyeon moves away and gestures for sunwoo to walk inside the house. he does so and he immediately makes eye contact with hyori, who's sitting on the couch by the door. sunwoo stands there, feeling awkward. he coughs, breaking eye contact with hyori and focuses his attention on his shoes, which he kicks off. he then quickly walks towards a couch far away from the girl.

haknyeon walks towards the middle of the room. he turns towards where hyori and kevin sits. gyul runs up to haknyeon, and the boy swoops down to grab the piglet. sunwoo glances towards hyori and kevin while haknyeon points at them.

"you two," he says, "go get the snacks from the kitchen."

"you go do it," replies hyori, looking up at her brother. "you have two legs and two hands."

"two hands that are occupied with carrying gyul," says haknyeon, sticking his tongue out at hyori as he holds up gyul high enough for her, and everyone, to see.

sighing, hyori stands up, looking back at kevin. "lets go, mr moon."

"not you calling me that," kevin laughs, eyes scrunching up in happiness. hyori hums and turns around. they both leave the living room with sunwoo staring at them.

sunwoo groans, ruffling his hair. he jolts upwards when haknyeon calls out to him. "and you," the older boy says, "we need to have a little chat."

gulping, sunwoo follows haknyeon up the stairs and into his room. haknyeon shuts the door and sets gyul on the floor. the piglet runs over to sunwoo, making him smile. sunwoo picks up gyul, cradling the piglet while haknyeon stares at him.

"you want to talk to me about...?"

haknyeon sighs. "you know that hyori still likes you, right?"

sunwoo sits down on haknyeon's bed, looking at the floor after setting down gyul.

"i know that you can't let go of taehee because she was there for you when things weren't the best for you," haknyeon says, "but i know that you thought that you loved her. keyword: thought. sunwoo, we both know that my sister was better and you left because you're scared."

sunwoo nods.

"so," says haknyeon, dragging sunwoo up on his feet and pushes him out of his room. "go get her. and if you break her heart again, i'm going to push you off a cliff."

"yessir," says sunwoo, quickly going down the stairs.

he approaches the kitchen with a grin plastered on his lips, but sunwoo stops and decides to hide behind a wall when he hears that hyori and kevin are talking.

"...did you like me then?"

"i d—"

no, sunwoo thinks, turning around and going back to the living room. he puts his shoes on and leaves, walking across the road quickly.

i don't want to know. the truth would probably hurt me.

 the truth would probably hurt me