Chapter 22

"Romulus? Has a twin brother?" I asked.

"Yes. He isn't like Romulus. Remus is vicious. He turns and eats people. Some think it's just how he gets his sick kicks. Turning people. Especially young people. It's sick."

"Wait, Romulus has been a wolf for three years. But his twin brother bit Finn five years ago? How?"

"Remus was changed before Romulus. We don't know by who. He was young too then, but didn't seem like it. He is a massive and powerful wolf. He found Romulus, tore him to shreds, and changed him. Your dad didn't think Romulus was going to live, but he did. That's the last known siting of Remus. Until.." His voice trailed off.

"Until what?" I said.

"Until you."

Nadine and I gasped.

"We're not sure, but we think sure Remus might've been the one who turned you."

We had arrived back at the lodge. It was still bright out. My body felt exhausted.

"We should head back to West Haven. Keep an eye out for those ingredients Raven needs."

"Would we be able to look for those things here? Why can't we just stay here?" Nadine asked.

"No. If anyone at all finds out what were doing, Ulrich will put a stop to it." Said Bayne.

A wave of anxiety hit me when I remembered who I told. I told Romulus. I told him about our plan. Romulus had thought I kissed him while having a girlfriend. I hoped he didn't get mad enough to tell Ulrich.

"I need to go talk to someone." I said, unclicking my seatbelt.

"Get your stuff, make it quick. Gotta get back before dark."

I went in to look for Romulus. The door to his healing room was closed. I waited outside for a moment, then saw Sirius staggering out of there. His arm was wrapped.

"Thanks, Rom!" He said.

"Be more careful on the field next time."

"You know I won't!" Sirius laughed.

Romulus went behind him to open the door, then saw my face. I looked at Sirius.

"Soccer injury. I see it all the time. Are you or your girlfriend hurt?"

"No, I just wanted to talk. I-."

"Sorry, can't help you." He cut me off.

He began to close the door. I looked at my cut shirt. There was a small gash.

"Wait! I am hurt!" I said, pushing the door back open.

He had me sit down and show my cut. I took off my shirt and showed him. I was still skinny, but sometimes I forgot I had defined muscles now. He put anti infection spray on it, then slapped on a band aid.

"Anything else?" Romulus didn't make eye contact with me.

"Yes. I need to talk to you. Nadine isn't my girlfriend. I just told my dad that. We thought he'd be more okay with having her here. I thought that would be better than the truth. That I attacked her."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't really think of it. Not until my father announced her as my partner. I saw that you were upset."

"I thought I was a home wrecker for a minute. I'm glad it's not the case."

"You didn't tell my dad about why we were really here when you were mad at me, did you?"

Romulus face went from relieved to irritated.

"Is that the only reason why you came back here?
To make sure I didn't spill your secret?"

"Well, no. I just-."

"Jesus, Erin. I can't believe you. No, I didn't tell your dad just because I was upset with you. I told you I wouldn't tell anyone and I didn't."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't need to trust me romantically, but I thought you'd at least trust me as a friend. Haven't I at least earned that?" He turned away from me. He didn't want to look at me. I stood up, I was about to put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. To remind him that I was there. Just then I heard Bayne from the hall.

"Erin! We need to go." Bayne's voice echoed as he searched for me.

"Goodbye, Erin." He said, without looking at me.