004 | trust

━━━━━━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

trust ━━━━━━

━━━━━▼━━━━━

. . . TRADE FEDERATION FLAGSHIP, NABOO

𝐖𝐘𝐍𝐍 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐇. Every few minutes she would pause, but then she picked right back up where she started. Obi-Wan was sitting comfortably in the chair next to his master, but Wynn refused to sit down. Her restless energy never ceased but watching her stalk back and forth only added to his own anxiety.

"Wynn," he finally spoke.

He barely had her attention. She didn't even look up at him when she muttered, "What?"

"If you keep pacing, there's going to be a hole in the floor."

Wynn just blinked, like she always did when he told a bad joke. It was so easy to mess with her. She looked like she had a scathing retort for him, so he turned his attention to Qui-Gon before she could speak any further.

"Is it in their nature to make us wait this long?" Obi-Wan asked.

"No. I sense an unusual amount of fear for something as trivial as this trade dispute," Qui-Gon responded.

The silver droid walked back in carrying a tray of drinks. It offered it to them, maybe as a peace offering for making them wait so long to speak with the Viceroy.

"The Chancellor made it so," Wynn said, crossing the room and leaning on the back of one of the chairs. She might have hated to wear the cloak, but with her chin tilted up with distaste, it made her look positively regal. "As soon as he sent three Jedi instead of a senator, he made it more than a political game."

"And what would that be?" Qui-Gon asked, his curiosity piqued. He knew the answer, but he wanted to know what Wynn had to say.

Obi-Wan took a drink off the tray. Qui-Gon hesitantly followed suit and lifted the cup to his lips. Wynn refused the droid's offer with a quick shake of her head. Then she turned her silver-eyed gaze back to Qui-Gon.

"The Chancellor has made this a threat," She told them bluntly. "The Trade Federation may yet be weak, but their fear is something volatile. Intentional or not, Chancellor Valorum has forced their hand in the worst way imaginable."

With each word Wynn spoke, his worries became a clearer reality. An invisible clock was ticking, and all three of them were running out of time.

There was a blast, and it sounded like it came from the hangar. Obi-Wan and his master jumped up on high-alert, but Wynn stayed rooting in her spot.