026 | the fall

━━━━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

the fall ━━━━━

━━━━━▼━━━━━

. . . BERGRÓS, ESHAN

THE MEMORIES left a bitter taste of melancholy on her tongue.

As soon as she had lifted herself up onto her horse, Wynn was startled to realize how much she still hadn't forgotten. She saw her father, laughing good-naturedly while holding her as a toddler as they rode through the palace grounds. Every piece of this place held a scrap of some distant childhood memory.

Wynn sat astride on a dark gelding, trotting along easily as they moved down the road. Ahsoka wasn't having as much luck. They were keeping a slow pace while she struggled to keep her horse from lagging even further behind.

Anakin's horse knickered, tugging on the reins. It wanted to run. "Guys, if we go any slower we're gonna start movin' backwards."

Wynn clicked her tongue. "Didn't your Master teach you patience?"

Obi-Wan scoffed. "It never stuck."

Anakin shot him a sidelong glance. "You sure did try."

"So did my Master. Patience is a virtue I can so rarely afford," Wynn said loftily. Anakin grinned, the same smile of that sandy haired boy on Tatooine. "Race?"

"Thought you'd never ask."

Wynn shifted her weight forward and kicked against the gelding with the heel of her riding boots. The horse broke into a run as she and Anakin raced down the hillside and onto the road that would take them into town. Sunlight filtered through the trees above them so quickly it was as if the world had begun to spin faster.

For so much of her short childhood she had dreamed of the luxuries of being an adult. Afternoons spent laying about and eating cream cakes. Horses with gilded saddles running through open fields. The most beautiful silver dresses and a thousand jewels. How quickly her definition of luxury had changed. Now, it was enough to be temporarily free of the burden of being a Jedi. The thought scared her. It thrilled her.

They didn't slow down until they were within sight of the village.

"I think that means I won," Anakin said proudly, tilting up his chin.