Preparing to Face the Giant

George bounces his leg while tapping his fingers on his knee. The carriage had just set out for the kingdom of Euphoria. He tries to swallow his bubbling anxiety but it's overwhelming. A gentle hand lands on his knee, causing the king to jump a bit in alarm. George's eyes divert from the ground, meeting Dream's. He's once again wearing his circular mask with a simplistically drawn smile on it. His eyes pop out from two cut out holes in between the drawn on dots. It's ridiculous and George can't help but giggle a bit upon seeing it. Dream tilts his head in confusion and speaks lightheartedly. "What are you laughing about?"

"It's nothing. Just your mask."

"What? You don't like it?"

George gently places a hand on top of Dream's still chuckling. "It just looks silly is all."

Dream moves his fingers so they intertwine with George's. He lists their interlocked hands. "Aww, but George,"

He winks. "I do it just for you."

George's face immediately burns up, letting go of Dream's hand and turning to head to look away and out of the carriage window. "You're such an idiot." He tries to play it off.

"I suppose, but that's what you like about me."

George scoffs lightheartedly. "Maybe, but that still doesn't mean you're not an idiot or that,"

George reaches over, flicking Dream's mask with his fingers. "This mask of yours isn't stupid."

Dream leans back, clutching a hand at his silver armour, right above where his heart is. He looks almost cartoonishly devastated. "Ouch, George. I'll have you know I made this myself."

George eyes him up and down, cracking a smirk. "Yeah, clearly."

Dream lets out an over-exaggerated gasp. "His Royal Highness, King George Davidson,"

George gags at hearing the full title. Dream continues. "Are you insulting my arts and crafts abilities?"

George stifles a laugh, crossing his arms over his chest in a playful manner. "I'm insulting your ability to draw. What even is that?"

George points a finger out, rotating it around in a circular motion to gesture to his friend's mask. "It's two black dots with a smile in between. It looks like a toddler drew it, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously with that on?"

Dream huffs, almost offended by the king's words. "I think it gives it charm. Plus, it's cute, don't ya think?"

George rolls his eyes. "Ok, maybe but is that really the look you want to be going for as the appointed knight of the king of L'manburg?"

Dream shugs. "It's a 'don't judge a book by its cover' situation. Besides, I did say it was for your eyes only." Dream ends his sentence with a wink, causing George's face to flush.

"Yeah, ok. Whatever you dork."

The two boys fall into a comfortable silence, George going back to look out the window. The rolling hills of the countryside bob up and down with every passing second. Wildflowers line the fields, swaying gently in the breeze. The sun, out but obscured by the many colours that litter the sky, causing a slight overcast. It's a beautiful fall day but George can't seem to focus on that for more than a minute before his mind wanders and floods with thoughts.

He thinks about what is to come, who he has to meet. The fogginess and lack of clarity in the need for George's appearance plague him, haunts him. He knows he shouldn't think of the worst first, Dream told him that, but he can't help it. While there could be good reasoning for King Eret asking for George's appearance. Given the two kingdoms' track records and the lack of a clear reason for an immediate meeting leaves a sour pit in the bottom of George's stomach.