Part 8:

A/N: I literally live for Clois okay fitemeIdareyou

Also enjoy fluff even tho I genuinely hate all of it

Also also, Damian is literally my favourite because he doesn't give a crap and will break into whatever house you're staying at in whatever part of the world. He deserves more credit

__________

Aside from bland hospital food, and being a literal burnt marshmallow, Lois was thriving.

It shouldn't have come to a shock to her that after going two days without seeing her husband, he would come in all sheepish knowing full well she saw Conner and the batboys throwing hands with a giant Lex Suit by the harbour a few hours earlier.

She thought up about a million quippy things to say to him, but the moment Clark Kent walked into the plain hospital room, her breath was whisked right out of her. Her heart stopped beating, because all she needed to live was him. And the way a smile warmed through the shy expression he walked in with, having picked up on it skipping a few beats, made her forget that she was literally a burnt marshmallow for a whole second.

"Hi," He said.

"Where've you been?" She asked breathlessly; talking above a whisper hurt like living hell. The bruises around her throat were only just starting to disappear. "I'm stuck in this miserable place with overbearing nurses, and you just ditch me? And for what, the fate of the world? Tell Doomsday to reschedule."

"I'll be sure to tell him," Clark said. His smile faded gently in a sad kind of way as he closed the door, and sat beside her bed. He didn't reach to touch her, which Lois found extremely out of character.

"Something's wrong," she said. "What happened?"

"Nothing, Lo. Just try not to talk,"

She forced out a scratchy laugh that lit up her throat like a wildfire. "Do you know me?"

Clark looked like he was giving up when he laughed, slouched, tired, even a little miserable. Then he took her hand, carefully, and she could tell that he was remembering just how breakable she was to him.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" He asked sweetly, leaning in to rest his forehead against hers.

Lois didn't feel like smiling. She didn't feel like anything, really; just that something was so wrong that she was beginning to feel it in her bones. But Clark's closeness was something she had been missing for two whole days, and it was the only bit of actual comfort she knew how to find since waking up in the emergency room.

She swallowed hard against the burning in her throat and the throb in her head.

"Tell me again," she gasped, nearly pleading, because heavens only knew how much she needed it.

Clark kissed her softly.

Lois melted. Within that quiet, blissful second of contact, he was able to eliminate each of her fears, and reassure the doubts in her mind.

She wondered if she had the same affect on him. She hoped she did.

Lois reached to hold his cheeks when she felt him start to pull away.

"Stay," she breathed. "Stay close."

"I'm right here," Clark said, moving to sit on the edge of the bed. He stroked the hands on his face, and pulled them to his lips. "I'm right here,"

"Tell me what's wrong," Lois said.

"No, Honey, I can't —"

"It's Jon, isn't it?"