Part 16:

A/N: credit to my dad, who is the original founder of The Chair. All will make sense soon.
Enjoy this piece of trash that took me way too long to write. I wish I hadn't for multiple reasons.

_____________________

The morning was still grey and miserable under the heavy snowfall as Jon sat on the floor against the old piano, half asleep to the vibrations as Ma played gently. Something about Silent Night made him particularly drowsy, regardless of the time of day.

Sometime that morning, Kara had created a cousin group chat (respectively named *internal screaming*), and since then, she and Kon hadn't stopped insulting each other over it. Kon was currently sprawled across the couch, typing furiously, and Kara had taken off in a rush with Clark after they'd all picked up on an SOS signal. Jon made sure to keep his phone on silent because the sheer amount of received messages was enough to drain the battery.

Once Pa came back from town, they'd be off to find a Christmas tree — and finally, because they'd been so busy over the past week, and never had the time. With Christmas only a few days away, it seemed like the sort of thing that couldn't really be put off any longer.

Krypto lay with his head on Kon's stomach, and Jon couldn't help feel just the tiniest bit betrayed. That was his dog, after all.

Ma paused her playing, and energy came flooding back into Jon with the absence of Silent Night. He sat up straight, and craned his neck to see her.

"Wish I could play like that," he said.

Ma smiled, and reached down to card her fingers through his hair.

"You do have nice piano fingers."

"Piano fingers?" Jon asked.

"Long fingers," Ma explained. "Elegant. Definitely have your mother's hands, that's for sure,"

Jon's brow furrowed in contemplation, gazing down at his hands, spreading his fingers out. He listed his head, lips pursed. He'd never considered them elegant before. But the more he looked at them, he understood what she meant.

Ma turned back to the piano, taking a minute to flip through her songbook before starting up another gentle melody. Jon leaned his head against the piano again, and pulled out his phone. He scrolled on social media for a while; the router was in the barn, so the wifi was slower than it needed to be, and it didn't help that Kara and Kon were messaging back and forth at lightning speed. 

Jon checked his personal messages, finding a build up of notifications from almost everyone he knew trying and failing to get a hold of him for over two weeks. He checked Kathy's messages first, knowing that they'd just be memes because they never used social media to talk. Damian, on rare occasions, would send him cute posts whenever he was online, so his messages were checked next. After that, it was a tempest of 'Bro u good', 'Heard what happened, so not chill', 'if you need to talk I'm here'.

And then there was the one friend who got upset after two weeks of no response, and threatened to throw their friendship out the window because if Jon was going to ignore the people trying to check up on him, what's the point?

Jon rolled his eyes, and sent a two word apology before muting the chat entirely. As offended as he was, it was kinda a jerk move to ignore everyone he knew because something inconvenient happened. He clicked his phone off, and tossed it to the ground next to him, sighing deeply.

"Uh oh, that wasn't a good sound," Kon said from his spot on the couch. "S'up?"

"Nothing," Jon said, getting to his feet. "Just tired," he patted his leg, whistling for Krypto, who sprang from the couch, despite Kon's spluttered protest. Jon hugged Krypto tight, and the dog took it, resting his head on Jon's shoulder.