32

"Here, Alyss."

"Thank you." The elegant Courier scanned the first few contents before reading.

WILL STOOD, TRANSFIXED BY STAGE FRIGHT, JUST INSIDE THE massive doors to the Baron's audience hall.

Will chuckled. "I'd rather have another round with the Kalkara than walk down that again."

The building itself was enormous. It was the main room of the castle, the room where the Baron conducted all his official business with the members of his court. The ceiling seemed to stretch upward forever. Shafts of light poured down into the room from windows set high in the massive walls. At the far end of the room, seeming to be kilometers away, the Baron sat, wearing his finest robes, on a raised, throne-like chair.

Between him and Will was the biggest crowd Will had ever seen. Halt propelled his apprentice gently forward with a shove in the back.

Gilan raised an eyebrow. "I find it hard to connect the words 'shove' and 'gentle,' particularly with the way it's described."

Halt shrugged. "The book begs to differ."

"Get on with it," he muttered.

There were hundreds of people in the Great Hall and every eye was turned toward Will. All of the Baron's Craftmasters were there, in their official robes. All of his knights and all the ladies of the court—every one in their best and finest clothes. Farther down the hall were the men-at-arms from the Baron's army, the other apprentices and the trademasters from the village. He saw a flutter of color as Jenny, uninhibited as ever, waved a scarf at him. Alyss, standing beside her, was a little more discreet. She unobtrusively kissed her fingertips to him. Will smiled at Alyss now.

He stood awkwardly, shifting his weight from one foot to another. He wished that Halt had let him wear his Ranger's cloak, so he could blend into the background and disappear. Gilan snorted.

Halt shoved him again.

"Get a move on!" he hissed.

"That's friendly," Crowley commented.

Will turned to him."Aren't you coming with me?" he asked. Halt shook his head.

"Not invited. Now get going!"

Arald chuckled. "I would have invited you," he said. Halt turned to look at the Baron.

"I'll pass. It was more fun watching Will get embarrassed." Will rolled his eyes.

He shoved him once more, then limped, favoring his injured leg, to a seat.

Finally, realizing he had no other course to follow, Will began to walk down the long, long aisle. He heard the muttering voices as he went. Heard his name being whispered from one mouth to another. Will shook his head.

And then the clapping started.

It began with one knight's lady and rapidly spread throughout the entire hall as everyone joined in. It was deafening, a thundering, echoing roar of applause that continued until he reached the foot of the Baron's chair.

"That was loud," Will muttered. "Too loud."

As Halt had instructed him, he dropped to one knee and bowed his head forward.

The Baron stood up and raised his hand for silence and the clapping died away to echoes.

"Stand up, Will," he said softly, and reached out a hand to help the boy to his feet.