Chapter 32

I woke up alone in bed from a dreamless sleep. My back is sore but not unbearable. A few more days of ice and rest should be enough to get me back to normal. Padding barefoot into Aizawa's kitchen, I realize he's not here at all. There's a note on the island.

I didn't want to wake you so I left as quietly as I could to go to work. You're welcome to stay if you would like. If you choose to leave, be careful and take my spare key so you can lock up behind you. There's an extra lunch in the fridge for you either way.
-Shota

I'm glad that he left a note, but I would have rather him be here when I woke up. Looking at the clock, I realize it's already early afternoon. It's Friday and the upcoming week is finals. I need to finalize the tests and the drafts are in my desk at work. Either I go to school and then head home or maybe I can have Aizawa bring them to me.

Y/n
I'm finally awake. Your bed is so comfy.

Shota
I was starting to wonder if you were going to sleep all day.

Y/n
I would if I could.

Shota
You're telling me. I almost called in today just so I could stay next to you.

I blush at his bold statement. Surely he just likes the added warmth and companionship. We practically hated each other at the beginning of this year. There's no way he sees me as anything more than a friend. And even that seems like a stretch to me.

Y/n
You should have.

Shota
SOMEONE is currently out of commission and needed their classes covered...

Y/n
You're covering my classes? What about yours?

Shota
Your classes that don't have students doing internships right now fall during my free periods so it's not a big deal. You have some interesting lesson plans.

Y/n
So you don't get a free period at all?

I feel guilty not thinking about what my days off meant for the other teachers that have to cover for me.

Shota
Don't worry about it. I've actually enjoyed the conversations that you've prompted.

Y/n
I think I'm going to head back to my apartment after I eat. Thank you for thinking about lunch by the way. Would it be too much trouble if you bring me the draft of my final? It's in the bottom left drawer of my desk. If you don't, it's ok, I can go to school tomorrow to finish it.

Shota
It's not a problem. I'm craving sushi tonight. I'll bring some for you too.

Y/n
You really don't have to. I'll cook as a thank you for being so nice these few days.

Shota
Not happening. I'm bringing it.

Y/n
You're insufferable. See you later.

I smile using his insult from way back when we were at the bar.  I switch out Aizawa's boxers for the pants I showed up in yesterday and do my best to re-braid my hair. I can't reach my arms all the way over my head but I have more movement than yesterday.

I scarf down the lunch Aizawa left for me and borrow a reusable grocery bag to put a couple books and the pink boxers in so I don't have to put them on display on my way home. An eerie feeling creeps into me while sitting on the subway. It feels like I'm being watched. I want to brush it off as paranoia but with Benjiro's recent release from prison, there's a good reason for me to be on guard. I subtly scan my surroundings trying to spot anyone suspicious looking.