Chapter 2

The practical exam ends and my services were, thankfully, not needed.

I got some really good notes on students that look like they're hero course material and some on those that have amazing abilities but will probably end up in the general studies classes.

During the test, my eyes kept roaming back to an ash blonde that had an explosive quirk. He reminded me a lot of the kid from two years ago and it made me wonder if he would also pull a reckless move to get more points. Luckily, he kept a cool enough head to minimize the damage to his environment. He'll probably make it into the hero course, and if can control his temper, he'll have the potential to be a great hero one day.

He reminds me of myself with all that anger, but hopefully he'll find a way to harness it like I harnessed mine. Being angry helps focus my manipulations and it makes it easier to hold onto more energy when I have to let out big blasts.

I quickly leave the observation box after the exam concludes. It's easy to avoid more human interaction since everyone else in the room was a stranger. I reached my social limit with Mic and I'm going to have to recharge before going out tonight.

It's mid afternoon when I get on the subway to take me to the side of town my apartment is on. It's not a bad drive and it would also be faster to get to school in my car, but I enjoy reading when traveling across town. It's about a 20 minute ride to my stop, and in that time I finish the last couple chapters of my book. It was a predictable end, so it isn't too heartbreaking to say goodbye to the characters.

It's a quick walk to my apartment building, and typing in my code for the elevator the box roars to life and ascends to my floor. I take my keys out of my jacket pocket and unlock the door.

When I walk into the open concept unit, the kitchen is to the immediate right with all stainless steel appliances and a large granite island. To the left is a coat closet with a hook on the back that my leather jacket hangs on. I take off my shoes and leave them by the door and remove my gloves, setting them and my keys on a small table by the closet door.

Continuing into the apartment, it opens up into a living room that has two walls of floor to ceiling windows on the back and left wall. The living room is pretty minimalistic with only a couch, and a couple of overstuffed sitting chairs facing the couch. There's a little table that sits between the chairs and a coffee table in the center of all the seating. I don't have a TV. I got rid of it last year when I realized I had only turned it on to set it up on move in day three years ago and haven't turned it on since.

My bedroom is on the right, immediately after the kitchen and past that the wall is lined with bookshelves. There are six bookshelves that stand 8 feet tall each and they're all bursting with books. I haven't inventoried them in awhile since I end up donating or passing on books that weren't really good.

I shelve the book that was in my pocket and pick out the next one to read. It's another novel that is supposed to has a happy ending. Novels that end well are my favorite because they create an escape into a world where everything ends nicely and all the loose ends get tied up. The guy gets the girl, the woman heals from her past trauma, the shy guy comes out of his shell and wins whatever competition he's too scared to even enter, all the happy ending troupes that will never happen for me. I've been through too much. I've done too much to deserve a happy ending. I'm a loose end.

I grab a soda from the kitchen and settle into one of the chairs. I open the book, careful not to crack the spine of the small paperback book when my phone dings.

Unknown Number:

HEY L/N! It's Hizashi! We're going to be meeting at a quiet bar near campus around 8!