Chapter 39

My tasks now are to just watch and do general security. Aizawa was very clear with Nezu that he didn't want The Reaper 'accidentally' hurting anyone and he wouldn't hesitate to use his quirk on me. I watch Aizawa for most of the afternoon and every so often see him check his phone. I need to remember to text him when I'm not within sight of him since I have a very distinct phone case.

The last part of the afternoon, the students work on their own to push their limits. Aizawa walks over to where I'm hovering at the edge of the clearing and leans against a tree.

"Do you really think the scythe is necessary right now?" He asks, judgmentally.

"I'd rather be safe than sorry." I reply in my deep voice.

"You don't think it's a risk that a student might accidentally touch it and hurt themself?" He crosses his arms and rolls his eyes.

"Touch it." I say.

"So I can cut myself? No thank you." He replies.

"If you think it's such a risk. Prove that it's so easy for it to hurt you while it's on my back." I insist.

He glares at me but moves away from the tree and reaches his hand up to touch the blade. His hand passes right through it.

"Handy trick." He mutters.

"Makes walking through doorways much easier too." I answer. Much to my surprise, he smirks.

"I bet." He walks away from me.

It's announced after dinner that the students will undergo a 'test of courage' in the forest. Aizawa takes the remedial students back to the lodge for more lessons.

Kan makes small talk with me even through it's painfully obvious that he would rather be anywhere else.

"I don't bite, you know." I snap at him, annoyed and immediately regret it. "Sorry. I don't meant to be rude. It's just frustrating when people are constantly uneasy around me."

"Can you blame them?" Kan asks.

"I guess I can't but it doesn't mean it's any less annoying." I answer with a shrug.

"Why not wear a mask instead of using the shadows to hide your face?" He asks. "You might be able to look a little less sinister as well as keeping your identity secret."

"Any mask I've tried has either restricted my vision or breathing. I can't seem to find one that works for me." I answer honestly.

Kan just nod and we stand in uncomfortable silence as the students from 1-A start walking into the forest in pairs. The students from 1-B are already set up in the forest to scare them as they walk.

I eventually decide to put Kan at ease and tell him I'm going to go help Ragdoll at the other side of the trial. He nods and visibly relaxes as I take off and fly towards her. Since Aizawa isn't around, the wings aren't a big give away. The forest is oddly quiet considering the students are supposed to be scaring each other.

When I land at the table where Ragdoll is supposed to be, my heart drops. There's blood everywhere and she's no where to be seen. I flex my quirk and reach out to try to find her but don't feel anyone close by.

If  I fly back, I can't warn the students to turn around, but if I don't fly back, I can't warn the other pros. I pause just a moment to think. The smart decision is to tell the pros first. We don't know how many potential villains are out here so getting back up is the smart move.