Chapter 59

I toss and turn but I at least sleep. Aizawa is still snoring softly as my feet hit the floor and I get ready for the day. It's the licensing exam today and we're supposed to meet class 1-A by the buses in an hour. After I'm ready, I fly to the coffee cart just off campus to pick up a couple cups as well as a bag of beans since we've run out at home.

There's a copy of the daily paper on the cart that the barista was reading. He hands it over when I ask if he's done with it and I leave a handsome tip for him. Aizawa and I need to start apartment shopping so the classifieds would be a good place to start.

Breakfast is hot and ready by the time Aizawa shuffles in to the main room.

"Mornin' sleepy head!" I say brightly.

"How are you so chipper when you barely slept?" He grumbles, whipping his eyes and taking the coffee from the island.

"I thrive on lack of sleep" I reply, sliding over a plate full of food. "You ready for today?"

"After I sleep on the bus, I will be." He shovels food in his mouth.

"I grabbed the paper this morning so we could start looking at new places for when we're on breaks." I say, sliding it across the island to him. I stand on the other side eating so I can look at him easily. "I circled a couple that look promising."

"Oh...okay." He doesn't move to look at the paper and continues to eat his food. I try not to read into his action, but my heart sinks as we eat in silence.

Does he not want to move in anymore? Was yesterday's disagreement enough to want him to end things? Am I too much of a mess? All these questions and more spin around my head like a tilt-a-whirl.

"I'm going to get ready." He says, getting up and putting his dishes in the dishwasher. "Thanks for breakfast." He kisses me on the temple and walks away.

My scythe and gi are by the door and I put them on before we leave, keeping the hood off my face.

"Are you really going to go as The Reaper today?" He asks, keeping his hands in his pocket as we walk to the meeting spot.

"No, I'm going as me, in my hero gear." I reply, having to rush a little to keep up with his fast pace. "The kids know who I am anyway and The Reaper no longer has a contract so I'm free to reveal my identity now.

"Oh." He says.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, grabbing his arm to get him to stop.

"It's fine." He states. I raise an eyebrow at him and he takes a deep breath. "Ok. You're right. I'm... stressed about a few things right now."

"Can I help?" I question, shifting nervously on my feet.

"There's nothing for you to do." He gives me a small smile, reaching out to squeeze my hand. "I need a few minutes to shake it off, then I'll be alright."

"Alright." I give a small squeeze back. He drops my hands as we continue to walk. Things feel...off....unsettled. I want to push the topic, but if the roles were reversed, I'd want him to give me space.

"Are we all ready?" He calls to the students waiting outside the bus.

"Yes, sir!" Iida calls back, ushering all the students onto the bus.

It's a long ride. Aizawa and I don't talk during and he sits on his phone, only looking up to scan the bus seats to make sure the kids aren't acting foolish. I get out my phone and text the only person who might know what's going on.