Chapter 2: Conception

Flipping through the book, she sat taking in the blissful stillness of everything in the garden as she sat crossed legged with some biscuits and tea.

It was always her hobby to read. She loved reading, well, there's never a moment in the family where she's seen without a book.

Blessed with a pure noble's blood, she would waste her time in the pleasure of visiting the world of fantasy in each book she'd open.

Smiling, she took a sip of her tea before flinching when she heard a noise.

Looking over her shoulder, she could see someone struggling by the wall.

'What is that commoner doing..?' she wondered as she stared watching it.

She wasn't sure if she can interact with commoners since her social life is always secured almost everywhere.

Somehow there wasn't a single maid nor butler anywhere.

Very uncanny at the moment as she sighed and stood up to walk over to the struggling child.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

Almost immediately, the person flinched and paused in their struggles of freedom, making themself weigh back down to be hanging by a foot again.

Someone close to her age stared back at her, those light golden eyes, brown with a hint of green over her hair, and white skin. The dirty and rough white shirt, black raggedy pants, and black dirty boots they wore complimented her to be interesting.

Luz stared for a while back before snapping herself first from the trance to say, "excuse me?"

The hanging person snapped from her trance as well.

"Huh--wha--??" Stammering, she blushed a bit looking around a bit before blinking a few times towards Luz.

"I'm asking you, what are you doing?" Luz repeated

"Uhh--I'm stuck." Amity blurted without much thought or intention of what she was doing.

Luz hummed, examining her awkward situation.

"What is your name, commoner?" She asked.

"Me? Oh, it's Amity." Amity didn't pay much heed to what she was doing or saying.

They stayed like that for a while before Luz sighed and decided to help her down.

"Come close so you can hold unto me." She said.

"Huh?? Why???" Amity was suspicious.

"So I can try and pull you out of your misery of hanging like raw meat." Luz blurted.

Amity frowned as she hesitated a bit but held.

It didn't take long but Luz was able to help Amity down from the wall.

"Can you tell me why you were stuck?" Luz asked after placing Amity down on one of the empty chairs on the table.

Amity scoffed and averted her gaze.

"And why should I tell you?" She asked.

Luz felt a nerve by such a repulsive answer. Calming herself down, she sighed before saying, "I don't want to seem ruthless that's why I wanted to ask you that. It's more likely that I can just tell the guards who aren't present at the moment that you trespassed."

Amity stayed stubborn.

For a moment of silence, Luz stared intently at her before perking up when she heard grumbling.

Amity was hungry.

Luz stared in a little shock as Amity felt a bit of embarrassment while still averting her.

Luz sighed deeply as she offered the snacks in front of them both.

"Here, you may eat to your heart's content." She said.

Amity grunted before giving in.

"Fine, but you're not doing this because you pity me, right??" She said.

Luz shook her head.

"I saw you struggle with such a determined look to succeed before helping you." She said.

Amity frowned a bit, that was pretty embarrassing. Eating the snacks on the table, she perked up when she saw a familiar book.

"Hey! That's the Good witch Azura book! And volume 5!? I didn't know volume 5 came early!" She was in awe.

Luz was taken aback by such a look.

Staring, she smiled and offered it.

"Do you want to read it for a while? I've just been rereading it for the past hour." She said.

Amity shot up laughing with a meek smile.

"No, that'd be useless!" She laughed.

"Huh? Why?" Luz wondered.

"Well, I can't read. I was never taught properly." Amity said.

Luz stared in surprise.

"Then how do you know about this book? And you even mentioned the volume too." She said.

"My older siblings taught me a little but never enough for me to be able to read the insides of a book. I kind of know-how numbers work so I know a bit about book covers I guess." Amity said.

Luz hummed.

"I see, they read it to you didn't they?" She said.

"Yeah! Whenever they have time, they always hang out with me and when they have money, they just buy me it." Amity laughed before continuing with, "I don't ask about it but they always insist."

Luz lowered the book down and stared at her half-empty cup.

"You have wonderful siblings." She said under a warm smile.

"Oh, how about you? Do you have any?" Amity wondered.

"No, I'm an only child." Luz chuckled.

"Really? But for a girl like you, you seemed to be the oldest." Amity shrugged.

Luz flinched by Amity's words.

"What?"

"Huh?"

"What did you say?" She asked.

"Oh, I said you seemed to have been the oldest??" Amity wondered.

"No, the other one." Luz said.

"But for a girl like you?" Amity wondered.

Luz shot up, slamming the table a bit when she leaned forward in front of Amity's face.

Amity was perplexed.

"You... How do you know I'm a girl..?" Luz asked.

"Oh, well, you're cute that's why. All the boys I see are always ugly and all the girls are always cute." Amity said.

This time, Luz was the one perplexed.

"What kind of insight is that?" She asked.

"Oh, well, if you had been a boy, I would've found you ugly but... You're cute so I think you're a girl." Amity said before flinching when Luz placed a hand on her mouth.

"Not so loud you damned commoner, that information isn't something everyone can know too easily." Luz scowled.

Amity stared at her for a while before smiling eagerly under Luz's hand. She nodded making Luz back away.

"Then I'll keep it a secret!" She exclaimed.

Luz was flabbergasted by the commoner in front of her.