Chapter 4: Golden Hour

Luz's POV;

Dear diary.

I began writing down everything after all those afternoon's events.

I met someone that afternoon.

She was a commoner from outside.

She accidentally trespassed but I don't want to come off as someone evil to her.

Her name was Amity, she had those beautiful golden eyes, it matched the golden hour when I helped her back over the other side of the wall.

I don't why but while I was there, she had a lot of stories to talk about.

She was a chatty person. Very chatty.

Finishing up on my diary, I closed it back and sealed it with it's coded lock before tucking it away in secrecy.

Sighing, I stayed by my desk before standing up when one of the maids called for me to have dinner with my mother.

...

The next time I'll see her, maybe.

She promised she'd come back.

She promised...

Maybe, then I can read her the book.

But... No, she's not coming back.

I have to attend a small party tomorrow so it wouldn't matter.

I should be more worried about tomorrow's party more.

Boscha will be there with her family.

Hmm... The Barons decided to invite the Earl... Uncanny but necessary from how mother exaggerated it this night's dinner.

I have to visit them even if I don't want to.

Sighing, I laid on my bed contemplating a bit.

I can't get that commoner out of my head. I don't even know why I'm thinking of her.

She knows I'm a girl and I don't know how she even figures that out.

She's dangerous.

But killing her would mean a terrible outbreak of news on our family name.

Especially since mother does almost everything. She's... The embodiment of a Countess while leaving me as the Earl itself.

Still... I wonder what that commoner was actually doing before getting stuck. Did she never really have any ill intent? That's the case, isn't it?

I'm an Earl but she could've killed me there and then. Why did I help her again?

Pity? I sure felt a bit of that but I also felt lonely.

Frowning, I closed my eyes clutching the covers.

"Lonely, huh..."

Muttering to myself, I laid there like a dying emperor in his last days before passing.

Why am I even comparing myself to the king..? He probably has it worse than me, right? I'm just an Earl.

Grumbling to myself, I shifted to face out the windows.

The soft moonlight was nice on shut eyes.

Maybe I should try to interact a bit with the other families. Mother might feel happy if I do so.

She'd love it for sure.

"Maybe I'll see her there even." Snickering lightly, I chuckled over the impossible.

That's one funny joke, Luz.

Very funny indeed.

If only she didn't have commoner blood running through her veins, she would be able to climb the social ladder like a simple noble family.

Slowly, sleep began to seep through me.

I wonder what she's doing at the moment tonight.