Chapter 8: Collision

Luz's POV;

I sighed, laying back on the chair.

I don't think she's coming over again or ever at all.

She probably doesn't care much even.

She's just a commoner from outside, an aristocrat seen with a commoner too closely would be the same as taking in a beggar who wears nothing but ragged clothes all day.

Her clothes were dirty after all.

He seemed like a farmer with those dry muddy boots too.

A farmer... She should've aspired to gardening instead. It'll suit her more than farming.

Chuckling a bit, I shut my book and stood up to prepare myself for today.

Later this afternoon, me and mother will attend a big party, they said there will be other special guests there other than the Empress herself.

Why'd the Empress suddenly want to go? That'd mean there is someone special there worth her visit which means a disrespect if we don't go.

Walking through the quiet mansion, I made my way upstairs and to my bedroom.

...

Fixing a few bits around me a bit.

I huffed before walking out and for the carriage.

I smiled when mother had already been waiting for me.

"Did I make you wait too long?" I asked as I took a seat opposite to face her.

"No."

That was good to hear.

...

Getting off of the carriage, I offered my mother a hand to help her off.

Everyone expects me to do that as the young Earl.

...

Luckily Boscha's tea party had to be postponed because of this big event for us nobles.

I greeted everyone who came to give me their greetings, and after that, I went and took a seat away from them and flipped the book open for me to read.

As usual, I reread volume 5 when I have the time.

Mother has always suggested me other books but I'm always captivated by this specific book.

The talk of magic was in it which made it captivating for me to read.

Actual spells were written down on this, but the process of doing it wasn't. It'd be quite dangerous while reading the book if it had any.

Minding my own business, I perked up when we were told to gather.

Making my way over to stand beside mother, we bowed ourselves down when the Empress appeared.

She seemed so... Cheerful??

"The Empress seems very happy today."

"The Empress is smiling."

"She looks so happy today."

I could hear the other aristocrats whisper among one another over the Empress's smile.

It's rare to see her smile like that.

Even among us.

Keeping our heads down, we gave nods after she gave the order to finally look at her.

She was still smiling that cheerful smile.

Something good must've happened.

I wonder what that is...

"As you may all know, I held this big party and invited all the noble families and the great Empress herself as we have a few other special guests along with her."

I listened to the entertainer.

His children behind him along with her wife seem proud of him.

Proud of what..?

"Auntie!"

I shot up just like everyone when we heard a shout. That voice sounded a little familiar.

Out from the crowd, I leaned over a bit to look, a boy in a black shirt and a night designed vest rushed out and suddenly threw a hug to the... Empress!?

I felt petrified at the moment.

Who in the right mind would just do that!? Do they want a death wish!!?

And hang on, did he yell Auntie at her as well!?