Chapter 81

Draco

"Everything okay Draco?" Bella called from my bathroom, she had just finished showering and changing. From the little time she wasn't around me, I already found myself missing her, longing for her touch— her warmth.

Shortly after the incident with Potter, she dragged me back to my dorm room, out of everyone's sight. She didn't even care what had happened to her, all she was concerned about was me. How I was feeling, she put me before herself.

The love I had for her was painful, it hurt my heart, I'd never loved anyone like this before. And I don't think I ever would again, she was everything I needed and more— that in itself was irreplaceable.

"Draco?" She called my name again, this time poking her head from behind the door.

I cleared my throat, I hadn't realised I had been so distracted by my own thoughts.

"I'm fine Bella."

She walked out of the bathroom, wearing my shirt and just her underwear. I wasn't turned on no, which was surprising, I just wanted her near me. To comfort me, like she used to.

She looked at me with sad eyes, I hated that look— I hated someone feeling sorry for me, the look of pity.

I pulled back the quilt, gesturing her to come underneath it. She sent me a weak smile, and slid underneath the silk sheets.

Her arm reached out across my torso, her finger lazily drawing patterns on my naked skin. I relaxed into her touch.

"Draco, are you okay?" She asked again, pressing light kisses along my chest.

"No."

"Tell me what's wrong"

"I—I can't Bella."

I didn't know where to start, the thought of losing her tore my heart into pieces. The weight of this fucking task on my shoulders, this fucking mark— everything was too much.

"Well, you can tell me one thing at least."

I shifted, turning to face her, my fingers sprawled against her plush thigh.

"I—I thought I lost you, Bella, it was— fuck."

"It's okay Draco" she smiled, brushing her fingers against my cheek.

"You don't understand, I don't think you will ever understand."

"What do you mean?" She pulled my hand towards her mouth and left light kisses along my palm. I took a deep breath in and let it out after a few seconds.

"I can't be without you Bella, I can't do it."

Her breath hitched, she nodded, kissing each of my fingers "you don't have to be Draco" she whispered.

"I promise you."

My heart warmed at her promise, I'm used to them being broken, however, the look in her eye, proved she wouldn't break it.

"I love you."

"I love you" she smiled pressing a soft kiss on my mouth, she turned around, pressing her back against my front.

My arms wrapped around her tightly, I wouldn't let her go, I would never. Over my dead body would I ever let her go.

• • •

I didn't let her out of my sight, everywhere she was, I was. Some may call it possessive— perhaps obsessive but I didn't see it that way. I wanted to keep her safe, I didn't know who was behind all of this but they were playing a very dangerous game with us. Luckily for them, I liked games.