4

Tatum Hayes

Three days after

"I personally believe that the science program is quite hard" Ainsley said "but you are good at it already" she smiled at me while grabbing her stuff and passing me the responsibilities for the rest of the day. 

"I don't complain" I replied, but my mind was clearly somewhere else. 

As other students continued swimming during their break hours, Ainsley started enthusiastically telling me about a weird episode she had witnessed at her college, but I could only manage to sit down and rest my head at the back of the high chair. 

"But you are definitely the nerdiest " Ainsley mused, bringing back my attention to what was in front of me "but again, I think you are kinda cool"

I laughed blatantly at her words, sorta embarrassed. She looked at me, dumb look on her face, and as if she didn't know, asked me what was so funny. 

"Shut up" I retorted playfully "I am not cool, I'm just...boring" 

"Yeah, you are probably right" she laughed. She had a bright mood, and definitely made me feel better. 

As we said our goodbyes, I sat back on my chair and stared at the lake, trying to find answers. I couldn't stop thinking about Dakota's reaction and how sad it had been making me feel. I had nothing better to do that day but to think of her, and had no care if Stella was still pissed at me. I was in a particularly upset mood for a good reason, constant for those past few days. 

I had lived by the beach, in a quiet and relaxed town all my life. I had loved that all my life, but also hated the way it all felt fake. My mother always said that Oahu was the paradise compared to the continent. That certain places of the country only had been known for destroying people's dreams. I always had thought that finally, after 18 years, the strongest I've ever felt before only started to develop the day I arrived to my dad's new home, the first day I entered that school. Maybe, those past few years were boring, and maybe I needed to leave that place. But Dakota Knox, I was sick of seeing her always so lost. She deserved better than waking up around the same group of toxic friends everyday. 

That evening, after closing the fences and ending my shift, I headed to the kitchen to greet Mr. Carter, who had been the sweetest since day one, like a parent to me, and always had something to talk about. I left my bag carelessly at the side bench, and turned right at the corner towards the kitchen door. 

I was not only greeted by him, but also another middle-aged man that introduced himself as Eli. I smiled at him but suddenly, in no time, I saw a figure knocking right into me before I had the chance to move. 

"What the fuck" She grunted when we both realized that eggs had been smashed all over her t-shirt and apron "what's wrong with you?!"

 I watched Dakota as she quickly swoop down and tried to pick everything up. I had only managed to stay above her, staring down. A tiny squeak of an apology that I heard coming from her is what surprised me.

"Sorry" she said, faintly. 

"No, it was my fault, I'm really sorry"  my voice melted, as in a strong wave of heat

"No, it's fine. She is learning to handle frustration" Mr. Carter explained. However, his eyes sparkled, as if he was really trying to help her "right, Dakota?"

She did not lift her head as she silently tried to pick up the broken eggs frantically.

"Hey, I'll just go inside and bring another carton" I said "I don't mind" But I got no answer from her. It was only when I came back from the storage room, when she finally stood up and looked me in the eyes.