13

Dakota Knox

"Let me help you" Nyla said out absolutely freaking nowhere which, of course, scared the shit out of me. It had helped to wake me up a bit. Some girl beside her took my bag and she poured fresh coffee into my mug. 

Nyla waved at the other girl as she was dismissed, "Your 9.30 appointment is waiting at the Gray Room, Ms. Knox. I have already left your stuff there, too" 

"Help me, you say?" I croaked out "you save my life, Nyla, for real"

She smiled and walked away. Okay, give yourself a second, I told myself. I smiled at the mirror awkwardly, pretending the chaos that my face was seemed fine. 

I entered the Gray Room looking down at my feet, because I had the impression my shoes weren't exactly matching my attire.

"I've been told that this company always succeeded at how they treated guests, but no one ever told me that it was partially run by Dakota Aspen Knox" she said

Again, I've never believed in fate, but in that moment, I couldn't believe in anything else but that.

"Hi" She said, stunned after she saw me.

"Hey" I replied

There was a slight pause, as she continued to look at me, with wide eyes. A tweak of annoyance had formed at my temple when the look on her face almost insinuated as if I had ask to meet her, specifically.

"They've told me I was meeting with someone from Nexus Software" I said to her "No one mentioned your name"

She walked closer to me, all the way to my side of the table, and pulled a small card out of her purse.

"Well, so then let me introduce myself properly" she smiled after handing it to me "I'm Tatum Hayes, Head of Business Development at Nexus Inc." she stopped for a second "and it's very nice to meet you"

What a unthinkable conversation. I wanted to turn my back and continue with my peaceful day, but I surprised even myself and stayed where I was. I watched her struggle with the decision of giving another explanation or not, so I helped her. 

"You look really good, Tate" 

"Thank you, so do you" she said, with the same look of doubt and caution on her face.

"So, back to business" I said, taking a seat "I really look forward to buy your know-how. My upcoming project needs it and I'm willing to hire you guys asap"

She nodded.

I just stared at her. Slowly, she relaxed. Her eyes were the same chocolate color, as her body had concentrated all the maturity and beauty on a single point. Or maybe the contrast against her younger self was just that strong. 

"I'm..." she trailed off "I'm the one who is selling the know-how. I'm a System Engineer and this is my product. So yes, I'd be honored to share it with you"

I was so proud of her. She hadn't become anything less that how I pictured. 

"Not an architect, then?" I mocked

"A different kind of architect. I tried it out for a year, but switching careers was the best idea" she laughed

I alternated between looking at her and at the papers we had in front of our faces, "so tell me if you want to see our presentation or-"

"No, it's fine. I just wanted to come over so we could discuss all these matters, business related. Also, it's important for the company to send a face along the process" she explained.