14

Tatum Hayes 

I shut off the noise around me from the chaos of the city, and following that, committed to my constant habit of looking up at the sun through my apartment window. I proceeded to watering my plants and making a jar of iced tea. I was glad Dallas was not there that morning. It saved me tremendous trouble because I knew she would be second guessing my thoughts, which just might have been my own reaction after Dakota called. 

"I was thinking we can meet for dinner tonight" she implied, right away

"I hope you've noticed we are potential business partners and it would be inappropriate - specially with you - for me to accept" I explained

"Shut up, Tate" she laughed "I meant that it would be nice to catch up"

"Oh, really?" I retorted "well, okay then. I know a place, I'll text you later"

When I said those words, I lifted my head up and looked at the kitchen lamp. Again, the undeniable feeling of doing it all wrong flooded my body. I roamed my mind, trying to think the last time I genuinely wanted to see her again. I don't think there ever was a time I hadn't. 

She arrived shortly after I did. I really wondered how she managed to glow like that while entering a room, but she did. I had romanticized her youth for so long that that mature version seemed so unreal, and pretty. 

She brought a bottle of wine with her. It looked decently fancy. Who would ever thought that we could afford all that?

"So, we are actually at your office?" She asked curiously, looking delighted. Her hazel eyes were shining bright and handed me the wine "this is for having me over, by the way" 

"Not exactly my office, that's in a filthy building downtown" I said "more like my studio" I mumbled, after taking the wine to the small kitchen. 

"Well, I really like it in here" she said happily

Maybe it was because Dakota's teenage hostile attitude was absent that night so she was a little less intimidated. At least it seemed she had grown out of it. Maybe, it was due to the lack of other people's presence that I could give my full attention to her and answer her questions. I let her do the talking. I mostly observed her. I was happy in doing so.

"So, where you've been, how long have you've been here now?" she asked, after I offered to pour wine in her glass. She didn't refuse.

"As planned, I went to school in Hawaii. I had a job there, but then three years ago an ex colleague offered me a position in Nexus, so I stayed in Los Angeles for a long time, and now I'm here" I replied

"Los Angeles!" she exclaimed "Damn. I wish I had the courage to go and live there. I bet San Francisco is a ghost town compared to there" 

"Well, it's okay" I replied quietly "but I rather be here. I had missed my dad way too much and I get to visit him often now" I said, sounding strained, immediately reminded of the days when we walked around the neighborhood together dreaming about leaving that place.

"Right! Cesar. How is he?" She asked again "I saw him a couple of times, after...after we broke up" she sighed "but I never had the time to visit him" 

My dad. He would surely approve our reunion. 

"He is fine! He works for the school district, after all" I explained "and he is getting married in a few weeks, can you believe it?! Her name is Margo, and teaches third grade. I love them" I said

"Wow, that so crazy!" she replied, overly enthusiastic  "I'm so happy for him, I really am"

"Yeah" I replied vaguely "he said you went to San Jose, and your parents moved out, is that right? to Utah?"