22

A/N: Hello, there. The story is coming to an end. I'm trying to think of an epilogue, not a story but maybe two more chapters after the final one. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to read them. Thank you for reading til this point :)   - LH

Tatum Hayes 

Stabbing my toast, I frowned at my dad's words. I was still scowling from the past night. I got to my dad's home at 6 AM that morning, half asleep, and the situation was calmer than at the reception, so I decided to have a quick breakfast there. 

"Oh, come on, Tatum, you can't choose that jerk over Dakota!" With one glance at me, he paused.

"I'm not choosing Dallas over Dakota, at all! I'm just saying that it would have been nice to leave Dakota out of an awkward situation. I even asked her to be my date!" I exclaimed "thanks for the warning of the - what was it- twelve-minute message? I can't believe this, next time do me a favor and do not call me for bad news hours before a special day"

My dad sighed. "Yeah, but then you would flip and hate me forever, which goes against all the principles of our father-daughter relationship. I don't think she will show up anyways"

He wasn't a negative person. He rarely was upset about things, and that was what could calm me down. 

"Damn you, Cesar" I laughed, anger dissolving "by the way, how come you are still undressed?"

"I don't have to rush, it's just a tie and shoes" He answered, while we were sitting at the backyard "So Dakota is coming?"

I sat up straighter "Well, yes, she said she was meeting me there. I'm really nervous"

"You are back together then?" he grinned "it was about time"

"We haven't discuss that yet!" I cried hotly "not that I don't want us to, but we are almost 30 now, not teenagers. We are being mature-"

"Shut up, Tatum" he cut me off with laughter, causing me to stare at him "there is not such a thing! You love her, that's all that matters. You realize how lucky you two are?"

"People do it all the time, dad" I said in defense "they always find a partner and fall in love. I only hope this to be something good for us"

His phone had started vibrating, so he picked it up.

"Hi, beautiful woman!" he yelled down, and I could hear a soft laugh respond "Well, I'll leave you to get ready, I'm leaving now, your aunt Claire just got there" he said with a smile "Don't be late, okay?"

I took my plate into the kitchen after he left and hesitated, leaning against the fridge, before exhaling and breathing out the air like a flame. 

Dakota, Dallas, a wedding. The inconvenience. 

I ran my fingers through my straightened hair and moved on to grab my stuff and start to get ready. As the minutes drew on, the nervousness advanced, only to be soothed by a text.

I'll get ready at home and then drive to Alameda. I can't wait to see you - Kotes

Eventually, I finished getting ready and left the house, hoping that the day would finally turn right. 

-

My relatives were overwhelming. All those questions. The "are you still single?" and "that's what you will wear?" pointing out at my black dress. Even though I was sick of it, I put a huge smile on my face, because there were bigger issues ahead.