7

Dakota Knox

I asked my dad to walk me to Tatum's house that night. Volcanoes erupted in my stomach and bats flew in circles over and over again. I was very nervous, but despite this, I realized in the pit of my stomach, that I was not scared. Maybe because Tatum was the first person I have come to be comfortable around, besides my mom. Not even my own reflection. I don't know why, but something about her made me trust her.

"Aren't you gonna knock on the door?" He asked me

"Yeah" I said "But not while you are still here. It's weird"

"alright" my dad said tiredly, then before he walked out the driveway continued " If you want to stay the night, call me. Otherwise, call mom to see if she can come and pick you up. Stay safe, kid".

When he was gone, coldness came onto me at full force, a really bad feeling tickling the bottom of my throat. I walked towards the door, hearing sounds of laughter, and a dog barking and music. I stood by the front porch for a few seconds to catch my breath before I finally knocked.

"Hi!" I heard Tatum's dad voice rise over the music as soon as he saw me "Tatum, she is here!"

I avoided catching her gaze, despite feeling - once again- her eyes on me. She smiled softly.

"I'll let you girls catch up, then" Cesar said "please, feel at home, Dakota" 

After he went out, a black dog greeted me joyfully as Tatum told me to sit down on the couch. The house was wooden, spacious, quiet, and very beach-alike regarding the decorations. Surf boards were piled up on a corner. 

"That's Maka, and she likes you" she said while I pet her "do you want something to drink?" 

I looked up at her and she smiled at me. She pointed at some beers, but I knew I shouldn't drink. Bad stuff always happened before, being drunk. I had to protect her, and myself, so I shook my head at her.

"Okay, what about... this?" she said, grabbing a Coke. I reached for it, careful not to skim my fingers against hers while grabbing it. 

"To be honest, when my dad told me what happened this morning, I kinda thought you were going on a date with him" Tatum said, laughing. I started to laugh too.

"Yeah, I kinda felt the same way" I replied, looking at her. Her expression was too calm, making me want to stay around forever.

"Pizza is almost ready, I made it myself" she said "so, do you want to go outside? I've settled some lights in the backyard"

"Sure" I replied. The volcano in my stomach started turning into butterflies. 

Each step she took to lead me the way echoed with quiet confidence. Never in a million years I'd thought to be one day inside Tatum's universe, her safe space, her home. I was never nice to her, they wouldn't let me help her, or be friendly towards her. Why was I there, then? 

She slumped down onto a blanket carefully placed over the grass, and instantly cracked open a beer. She patted her side, to what I responded eagerly. If a stranger had seen us that night, we seemed like long time friends.

"So, you're the girl" Tatum said to me after taking a sip. I looked at her, confused. She knew she had to explain.

"My dad said that you stopped by around 6.30 AM. You were in your PJs, and red sneakers. You were the girl with the gorgeous hazel eyes I told him about. But, I couldn't believe it was you, on my driveway. You don't like me"

Her chocolate orbs. Her brows, thick and clean. Her full lips, unlike any lips I've seen on a girl before. She wore a simple white t-shirt slightly stained over her left shoulder. Her denim shorts, almost brand new. Her perfect face, with a couple of tiny moles. Her hair. How she dared to even think I wouldn't like her? I had been entranced by the beautiful person that was beside me, since the first day I saw her. But then, I recoiled again.