5

Dakota Knox 

Tatum took a last glance towards the kitchen cabin before following all of us down to the dirty path from the side of the main area. She tried to hurry her pace, and we ended walking alongside each other, but not saying a word. Despite my feelings for her, there were several things that I would've said. Are you out of your mind? Did you want me to get killed? What does exactly helping me achieve?!

After a long walk to Mr. Moodstan's office, we arrived only to meet Ms. Woodland and other teachers, along with Mr. Carter and the evil sisters. According to Mr. Moodstan "we would only talk about what happened until we find the responsible" what really meant "we would try to take you down as fast as we can". Stella, of course, tried to fight the urge to throw me to the wolves. I looked around, just trying to figure out if Tatum was still there. She was there after all, looking as decided as ever. 

"So, who wants to explain?" Mr. Moodstan said, sitting with the rest of the crew. Tatum and I were standing, side by side. I had to speak first.

"I was careless, Mr. Moodstan. I'm sorry, I must have forgotten something" I implied

"Mr. Moodstan, sir. Dakota is just trying to help me here, but I was the one who set the table on fire, and I'm sorry" Tatum said. Everyone went wild, specially Stella, trying to make her shut up. The idiot thought that Tatum could tell her off. 

Mr. Moodstan looked at me, anger in his eyes, but tried to remain calm. He was acting in front of God, after all. He looked back at Tatum, asking for her to proceed.

"I was trying to get done a chemistry exercise, the one we were talking about today Mrs. Cutcher, you remember?" she asked the Chemistry teacher, that nodded avidly "well, I really have a passion for science these days. However, I took my stuff to the kitchen, I needed baking soda. I must have done something wrong, cause it exploded really fast" she slipped, scanning the crowd.

Mrs. Cutcher stared at her, gaping, and sighed. 

"Oh, Tatum dear, baking soda made it explode for sure! Didn't you read the instructions?" she asked

"I forgot my book"  Tatum explained "Dakota was almost getting out, she tried to help me. We couldn't find the extinguisher until you all arrived"

Stella laughed, as she couldn't believe Tatum's bravery after having exposed a different story, only to help me. 

"Dad, she is lying! Tatum is a science freak, she knows everything!" she cried  "I saw Dakota setting a bomb, I saw her!" 

Everyone started to panic, because no one knew what to say. Most of the teachers wanted my head on a silver plate, but others in the crew, like Mr. Carter, tried to find the answer in Tatum's speech. 

"Stella, I never lie, remember?"She stated. And she was right. No one that ever knew Tatum could deny her honesty. 

Stella ran outside, Dale following her fast. Mr. Moodstan looked at us, and then specifically glared at Tatum, who didn't dare to look at him in the eye. 

"Well, Tatum, you've caused quite a trouble" he said  "you will help Ms. Woodland tomorrow, so no lessons for you. And you can't keep your part time job"

"Sorry, sir. I won't be this clumsy again, I promise" She replied. Of course, losing her job was hard, and Mr. Moodstan had been too severe on here, but her eyes didn't show any regret. 

Feeling a slight burn of embarrassment towards her actions, I jumped abruptly onto her side while walking away.