15

Dakota Knox

"Her name is Dallas" she said, almost ignoring the uncomfortable expression on my face. Even thought I had asked for it, it made my heart shatter in more than a billion pieces, "we have been together for less than year. She works in construction, actually, repairing roofs" she laughed

"So, Dallas. You've got a thing right there, for girls named after cities" I said, trying to take my mind out of the imminent heartbreak. 

She bursted out laughing 

"Smart" she responded "but I prefer girls named after states and cities" she said, looking down, and bit her lip

"Do you?" I whispered, sincerely.

"A love like that, you only get one in your whole life, Kotes" she said, looking up and into my eyes "I've dated other women, too. Not many. But you were special to me"

I said I didn't believe in fate. Coincidences, they were fate to me. The fact that she was there, sitting right in front of me, in my car. I convinced myself it had to be because it was meant to happen like that. 

"Is she your plus one for your dad's wedding?"  I asked

She blinked "Well, I haven't asked her yet, but probably" 

Was she unsure? I couldn't tell. Either way, given her uncertainty, I decided it was a good idea to stop asking her questions about that Dallas girl, anyway. I was done pretending that I actually cared.

Tatum gently caressed my hand before holding it with her own, with absolutely no warning. She grinned and said "I can't believe it's you again"

I stared at her, wide-eyed 

"I'm not going anywhere

We stared at each other for long enough that I began to actually count Tatum's eyelashes. Unfortunately, I didn't get past the tenth one when she blinked her way out of shock and squirmed, moving her head to the side. 

"I better get inside" she mumbled "Thanks, again"

"Can I see you again?" I asked avidly "probably not tomorrow, but later this week?"

She paused, holding her keys, staring at them as if they were the ones speaking. Being the soft and delicate creature she was, she only nodded.

-

"Yes as in, 'I can't wait to see you again'? 'Okay, but I don't mind if we don't'?

"Like both" I fidgeted a bit

"Oh" Harmony paused "do you this is worth the wait?" 

I fidgeted a bit more

"I mean, it's Tatum" I smiled to myself "it's the only way I can make peace about what happened between us before"

Harmony scoffed "ten years ago? really?" she continued "I know you, you love her"

Almost 11:00 AM and only half of the work done. We had lost track of time. I wasn't like it was a extremely busy morning, filled with people trying to talk to me or meetings to attend to. And my friend clearly wasn't complaining, she wanted the details.

"Did you kiss her?" she asked

"I'm not a player" I replied "and she has a girlfriend, anyway. But I was dying to"

Harmony stared at me, stupidly, until it dawned on her that my own feelings were still compromised.

"You know that I'm in no way supportive of home-wreckers" she said "but if you actually believe that you should go for it, go all the way"