Chapter 28

"Oh, hi." I said to them with a weak wave. It was awkward.

Nadine came out of the bathroom. Her friends eyes didn't remove from me, especially Lidia's.

"Hey, guys." She greeted us.

"Hey. I didn't know everyone was going to be here today."

"Don't worry. We were just leaving." Said Lidia. She stood up. Dante and Pax followed her towards the door.

"Bye, Nadine. Don't forget about the Halloween party." Said Lidia, giving me a side glare.

"Told you he was weird." She said to the boys outside the door.

Nadine shut the door behind them.

"Sorry, I didn't know when you guys were getting here."

"Damn, that chick really doesn't like you, Erin. What did you do to her?" Bayne said.

"Erin did nothing. She's just being dramatic. She'll get over it." Said Nadine.

"You said something about Raven's spell?" Nadine asked.

"Yeah. We can't do it at their house. Katie will skin me if I go back there. Do you have any ideas where? Besides the woods."

"Hmm. There's an abandoned house on the edge of town. It's condemned, but it has big windows. There should be enough room for her there."

"That sounds perfect. I'll let her know." Bayne stepped out to call her back.

"Are you going to a party with them on Halloween?" I asked her.

"I was invited but I'm not going. I need to be with you."

"You should go to the party."

"Please tell me we're not having this discussion again?" She groaned.

"Look, I'm going to change into a wolf that night. You won't be safe being near me."

"I'll be fine. You stopped attacking me last time, and you've only grown stronger since. I'm going to be there." She said sternly.

"I don't think it's a good idea."

"It doesn't matter, I'm going. Raven will be there too. If anything happens, she can put a spell on you or something."

Her stubbornness was showing. I nodded.

The morning of Halloween came. It was windier than usual. The forecast called for snow later in the week. It was a Saturday night. All the ingredients were gathered for Raven.

"I need to go up and get her. I'll be back before sunset." Bayne said, shoving his keys in his pocket.

I had felt a strange sense of longing for him. I didn't want to be away from him. I couldn't tell myself why.

"Okay, be careful." I said.

"Be careful?" He asked.

"Yeah. Er. Can't mess up tonight. I don't think we get another chance at this." I tried to cover my tracks of caring.

"You're right. I will be careful. See you. Meet us at the abandoned place."

I nodded, and watched him go out the door.

I ran a countless number of scenarios in my head. We could find him tonight, I thought. We could finish him off tonight, I could be human by tomorrow.

But I was getting ahead of myself.

We met Bayne at the house in the late afternoon. It was white with green shutters, or maybe that was just the mold. It was three stories, but the stairs to the basement was deteriorated. The windows were broke. The inside had been spray painted inside by some vandalizers. Probably some dumb kids, I thought.