Chapter 12

Andrea

    It had been two days since Alex found out about my job. When he came back the next day after the race, smelling like perfume, sweat, and regret, we talked. Well, after I forced him to take a shower before even thinking about being in my presence and after waiting for Nate to get here.

    He basically said that he can't force us to stop doing anything and he won't but that we had to promise to be careful. He also said that he had the right to come to any race at any given time, that wasn't really a problem for Nate and me since he wasn't going to try and stop us so we obliged.

    But I wanted something in return, of course.

    "Hermano, (brother) you can come to any and all of our races if you really want to," I said while examining my black acrylic nails as if they were the most interesting thing in the world with a slight smile tugging on my glossed lips.

    From my peripherals, I could see Nate giving me a questioning look. I looked up and we locked eyes, he could surely see the mischief dancing in my eyes.

    "And what would that condition be exactly?" he raised his brow at me and crossed his arms over his chest while reclining back into the couch.

    "Well, it's only fair that since you get to come and see us whenever you want," I said while looking back at Nate who was now grinning evilly at me, obviously having figured out where I was going with this.

    "That we be able to go and see you fight whenever we want," looking back at my brother he simply stared at us blankly until an incredulous laugh bubbled out from deep in his throat.

    "You two are not going anywhere near the underground, it's no place for you," he uttered in such seriousness that if I hadn't been trying to make a point it would have made me laugh.

   "No place for us?" Nate speaks up for the first time, who up until now, had let me handle it.

    "Alex, I know you want to protect us but we've been going to the races for a while and the people there aren't exactly fucking teddy bears either. We aren't kid's anymo-"

    Alex doesn't even let Nate finish and harshly says, "You may not be kid's anymore but that doesn't mean anything. The people at the underground are far worse than any of those fuckers that hang around the track. You aren't coming."

    "Alex, it's not fair you get to come to our races but we can't come to see your fights. You know we're still going to find some way to go so you might as well put your mind at ease and let us come. Plus, we'll let you know when we're going."

    "The answer is NO."

    "Fine." Nate and I both huffed at my brother.

    "Swear you won't go," he utters while looking at us both.

    Sighing heavily, we both comply.

    Obviously, we aren't going to listen, he just doesn't know that yet. He really should though, I mean we even technically told him. If anything it's his fault for thinking we're going to listen.

    Nate and I established where not going to listen to my brother with a quick glance once he turned away to leave us, thinking the argument was done. When really it had just begun, if I know my brother he's going to be furious when he sees us at one of his fights without him knowing.

    But, I also know that it's better to do certain things without his permission and let him get angry. He might have a more emotional reaction, but it gets what you want faster than trying to reason with him. One thing that sure as hell runs in the family is stubbornness.