Chapter 14

Andrea

     I felt like a fucking stalker.

     As planned, after school on Wednesday, we did everything we weren't supposed to do. Instead of going home, watching a movie, maybe even studying, or even fucking a stranger like normal teenagers. What did Nate and I do?

     Well, we certainly didn't follow my older brother to an illegal fight in the absolute worst part of Chicago. Cause that would be absolutely psychotic.

     Note the thick-ass sarcasm.

     After we both got changed into something more appropriate for where we were going we went to go get some food considering Alex didn't get off of work for a couple more hours. I had asked to get today off specifically to do watch Alex fight and if I knew my brother it would be worth my while. His shift at the auto-repair shop ended pretty early and I imagined most of these fights took place late at night. We would follow him until he eventually ended up at the underground.

     I didn't really know the whole logistics of our plan, but we would figure it out.

     Sitting in the warm car, in the parking lot of a Mcdonald's with my best friend next to me in the driver's seat, I let comfortable silence envelop us. As we both ate our food we were lost in thought, the best thing about having a best friend was not having to talk at all. Of course, the joking, and laughing, and deep meaningful conversations is amazing. But, sometimes you don't need to fill the space with unnecessary chatter. Silence can provide the most comfort, it can be the simplest of joys. The best thing is the other person's presence being enough.

     I was snatched out of my own thoughts by Nate bumping my shoulder.

     "He's going to be so pissed when he finds out what we did," he says in a teasing and almost excited tone.

     "Well, you seem scared shitless," I mumble sarcastically while shoving a fry in my mouth.

     "He'll get over it. And after this, do we just follow him around all night until he gets in his car and drives to a shady place? Cause neither one of us knows where the hell the underground is," he stares at me expecting an answer.

     "Basically," I tell him even though it's a mediocre plan at best. It barely even classifies as a plan.

     "Good enough," he grunts and goes back to eating.

     Going back to eating, I suddenly feel the hairs at the back of my neck stand on end. My palms slicken with a cold sweat that seems to have spread throughout my entire body. A cold chill runs down my spine and I feel the weight of someone's stare pinned on me.

     Scanning the half-empty parking lot for anyone remotely suspicious, but there were just a bunch of people our age either getting food or fucking around with their friends in their cars while they ate. That was until I saw a figure move from the corner of my eye.

     A tall guy with a hoodie on, strode casually to the back of the fast-food place. Before he made it out of sight, he slightly turned and stared straight at me. I couldn't see any of his facial features because of the hood obstructing my view, but I knew he was staring at me. He carried himself with such superiority, with such arrogance, even if he was just wearing a simple black hoodie and jeans.

     Almost as fast as he looked in my direction, he turned back around and trudged on. I don't know who he was, or maybe I did and was in denial. But either way, he left me with a pit in my stomach.

     "Drea," I suddenly heard Nate's voice, edged with clear concern.

     "You zoned out. You good?"