Chapter 6

It had been almost three months since then. Alex, now made sure to always have his phone on him. He still acted the same, but he was more secretive about where he was going. He didn't want me involved in whatever he was. Our relationship stayed the same, I just was a lot more suspicious when he left. In turn he was suspicious on how I was giving him more money than usual. I'd never actually tell him how though, I just told him I got a raise. I guess we both had secrets that the other couldn't know about.

     In this time, Nate and I became regulars at the track. We would go out there every weekend and race. Sometimes there would be races in different places so the police wouldn't suspect anything. We made sure to stay away from most people and just stay close to one another. We also don't race together anymore. Nate said I was too good and not even he had a shot at winning, when he was up against me. I won every single race. Didn't lose to anyone, not even once. I climbed the ranks pretty quickly and had a huge race coming up tomorrow . Whoever won, would get $15,000. I was up against some bigger racers. I heard that one of the guys I was up against was one of the best, his name is Romano. We'll see about that, now won't we?

     With street racing, if you want to make money you have to give money. You have to put in money every time and if you win, you take it all home . But if you lose, the winner takes all the money you put in. It's a huge gamble but most of us are already adrenaline junkies. Some changes had to be made with the high stakes though. I had to make some improvements to my car, I added nitrogen tanks. This will allow me to go faster. I learned fairly quickly that if your car can't lift the front tires on the city streets, then you might as well stay home. I added other modifications to my car. Racing truly is an investment. It was a close call before I learned that one.

     Since we spent every weekend there, people got to know Nate and I's cars. We were both good racers and we had people swarm us after each win. We got invited to parties a lot. I'm not going to lie, there was a lot of partying, drinking, and sex these past couple months. I never got shít faced, I only ever had maybe a beer at most. But I've had to pull Nate off the sidewalk and take him home a couple times.

     Kai normally hosted these parties and we usually flirted. One thing led to another and, to put it bluntly we fucked, on multiple occasions. It's a casual thing, and we both agreed to not get feelings involved. It was just a form of release. And if either of us met anyone we would both stop and respect that. Kai's a pretty nice guy and he recently met this girl. So we stopped and just stayed friends.

     People always come up to me and just try to start a conversation and befriend me. Due to me never losing and kind of just being aloof. I never really like other people so I normally keep to myself. Some people started calling me Shadow. They say I can maneuver my car as swiftly as a shadow moves and I'm as dark and mysterious as one. Nate and I laughed once we heard it, we thought it was cheesy but it stuck.

I was currently stuffing my face in the living room while watching a random tv show I found while flipping through. It was pretty late on a Thursday night. I was waiting for Alex to come home, he had come home a week ago with more bruises and cuts than normal. He even had a black eye, I just wanted to make sure he was okay.

After a while I was engrossed in the tv show playing and was only brought out of the daze when I heard someone fumbling with keys. A second later I heard the door open and heavy footsteps making their way towards the living room. I looked up and caught the sight of my brother with a gym bag over his shoulder. He had on red basketball shorts and a white shirt. His phone was pressed up against his ear and he was talking to someone. I caught a bit of the conversation.