And Off We Go

You wake up and rub the sleep from your eyes. You look at the time on your phone. It's 6:30 in the morning. Your shift starts in 30 minutes. You could probably get there if you run. "I'm going to be late!" You say as you roll off the couch, grab your bag of clothes, and scramble to get ready. You throw on an outfit and do your hair. You decide to let Papyrus and Sans know you're leaving today.

You head to Papyrus's room and knock on his door. "he's not in there. he's out training with undyne. is there something you need? also, if you're hungry papyrus made his famous, breakfast spaghetti." You decline. "I'm already running late if I'm going to make it there on time." You grab your bag and start walking towards the door. "I have a long way to walk so maybe if I run I can still make it on time." Sans shakes his head. "you shouldn't skip breakfast... look i'll just take you."

You look at him in surprise. "You have a car?" Sans narrows one eye socket incredulously. "nah. but i ride a dirt bike. i don't do cars." He says as he narrows his eye sockets. "i don't trust them." You laugh. "You don't trust anything do you?" Sans shakes his head. "why should i? it's a safety hazard. there are so many scenarios in which you can get trapped to death in a car."

You sigh. "True. But why are you so pessimistic?" Sans narrows his eye sockets. "i don't know... i guess i'd say being trapped underground tends to do that to you."

You cover your mouth and mentally slap yourself. "That was dumb of me! How could I forget-" Sans stops you. "it's ok. really. it's in the past now." But a look of doubt crosses his face, as if he doesn't quite believe it. You place a hand on his shoulder. "But the pain is clearly still there. It's ok to talk about it." Sans sighs. "there's nothing to talk about." He says as he shoves your hand off his shoulder. "but um... thanks. anyways, we should get going."

You and Sans head out the door. His black dirt bike sits beside Papyrus's red convertible in the parking lot. Sans gets on his dirt bike and hands you a helmet. He waits for you to put it on and gestures to the space behind him. You sit behind him and wrap your arms around him. "hold on tight." Sans says as he rides off. You direct him to your job. As he makes a sharp turn you tighten your arms around him to keep from falling off. He chuckles. "well, i said to hold on tight."

You would poke him in his side if it weren't for your fear of falling off.

Sans stops at a red light. "hey, do you like pastries?" Sans asks out of nowhere. "I mean I guess..." Sans nods his head in thought. "let's make a quick stop. i know a shortcut." Sans says as he drives straight ahead before making a sharp turn into an underbrush clearing.

You watch as the trees and shrubs pass you by. You're so distracted by this that it takes you a moment to realize the bike has stopped. You realize Sans is just watching you. You become flustered and avoid his gaze. He laughs at this. The two of you get off the bike and as he puts it in park you poke him in his side.

"hey!" He says in surprise. "that hurt." You roll your eyes. "Whatever... Anyways, why were you staring at me?" Sans smiles at this. "yeah, there was something on your face." You panic. "What, where?" You say as you feel around on your face for it. "... it's on your shirt now."

You look down at your shirt but don't see anything. You look back up but it's too late. Sans uses two phalanges to flick your nose up. You glare at him. "How dare you!" He looks at you worriedly and you return his gaze with a blank expression. Then you bust out laughing. "I- Did you see your face just now? I'm dead." You say as you continue laughing.

Sans glares at you before looking at you in confusion. You cut your laughter short. "dead? what's that even supposed to mean?" You smile. "Oh it's just a modern phrase for something that makes you laugh until you're out of breath."