chapter- fighting

pov: mark

i saw her eyes close and felt her breathing slow down. she had a faint pulse, making me think she was fighting to hold on. that's when the rest of them returned with supplies. "she's dying under here! we need to get this thing off and we need to do it now!" i barked.

they all walked over and grabbed onto the wing. with everything i could i lifted it up, and once it was high enough, cristina reached under and pulled her out. we quickly assessed her injuries and did our best to treat them.

pov: lexie

the darkness was consuming and tempting. it was begging for me to join it, accept death and leave everything behind. i fought against it and then i felt the warmth of light come back to me.

i was being saved. the weight of the wing was gone, the pain remained. while i hadn't regained consciousness, i knew what was going on. they were keeping me alive and doing the best they could to save my legs (i knew that because i could still feel them).

pov: mark

did i really tell lexie i loved her? i did. it's not that i'm disappointed in myself for doing it, but what about julia? i've built such a great relationship for myself with julia and i can't just let that go, can i? all these thoughts raced through my head, but then i look down at an unconscious, but alive lexie. they all disappear because i know that all i want is her.

"when do you think she'll wake up?" i asked cristina.
"depends. it could be today or in a week. just whenever her body is ready. don't worry though, she's not dying on my watch," she replied.
"not on mine either," i smiled, mostly faking it.

pov: lexie

i could hear everything happening around me. i wanted so badly to open my eyes and scream "i'm alive!" but i just couldn't work up the strength to do it. arizona had stopped screaming, although she still whimpered from time to time.

all i could think about was what mark had said. it was probably because i was dying, there was no way in hell he actually meant it. he's with julia; happy with julia, i should mention. and i'm just... lexie, his ex-girlfriend who was never ready.