chapter 24- pain

pov: mark

lexie officially started her fellowship year today. in a few weeks arizona is having us come in for an ultrasound and we've made ourselves busy by coming up with names. if it's a girl we're going with caroline elyse grey-sloan and if it's a boy we're going with xander everett grey-sloan. "lexie! hurry up we gotta go!" i yelled from the kitchen. a few minutes later she walked out of our room.
"sorry, i'm just so nervous," she apologized. her baby bump was barely visible through her sweater and it was so cute.

pov: lexie

mark and i drove to the hospital. when we got there i kissed him and walked inside. that's when i saw derek. "der- dr. shepherd! i'm officially you're neuro fellow!" i exclaimed. he smiled.
"i'm so excited. now, it's time for rounds," he told me.

as we went through rounds my stomach hurt. i wasn't miscarrying, but it felt like something was wrong. i was only 13 weeks and the cramps stopped about a week ago. after rounds i went to go find arizona.

"robbins! i need a consult," i motioned to the exam room nearby.
"what's up?" she asked, looking for the scans. i out my hand over my stomach.
"it's not a patient, it's me. my stomach hurts way more than it should. don't call mark until you have to, but could you take a look?" i asked.
"absolutely, just come with me," she smiled.

"okay, the good news is you're not miscarrying. you have a mild case of hyperemesis gravidarum. we caught it early so it's not going to effect you or your baby," arizona calmly told me.
"can you call mark now?" i asked, holding back the tears.
"i already paved mark and mer," arizona reassured me.

just to fill you in hyperemesis gravidarum is a pregnancy complication that causes nausea, vomiting, and sometimes weight loss and dehydration. it doesn't effect the baby if you catch it early, which i did. i just have to drink a lot more fluids than normal and keep a bland diet. the symptoms normally resolve after 20 weeks, but get better with each week.

"hey lexie?" arizona asked.
"yeah? what is it?" i looked at the scan.
"you're having twins!" she exclaimed.
"yay! i can't wait to tell mark," i cheered.